Incase Rant

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mkelly2115, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mkelly2115 macrumors member

Minor rant but annoying... I bought a black incase slider a few months ago for my 3gs when my white was beat up, and the majority of the case started to peel.. The black rubber started to peel especially in the corners. Got it at best buy, and was within the warranty period, but they would not take it back, they said I had to contact incase. I filed a claim, they said they would replace it. I dint use the 3gs any more and plan on selling, so I asked if I could just be credited the money or put it towards the slider for the ip4. Their response "we do not upgrade or refund for any product not bought from us directly" :confused: WHY? What's the difference? I called on three occasions and after talking with a rep via email they all say the same thing. Totally stupid if you ask me due to their faulty product that a rep on the phone said is due to UV light issues?

Any way kind of pissed me off since I needed a case for my 3gs while I was waiting for my ip4 to come from apple.. So I basically lost 34.99+ tax for a case I am not going to use. I know I can sell it or whatever, just a hassle since I love incase products and what the new slider.

Thanks for listening :D

Matthew:apple:

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Take the replacement. The rest of the story makes no sense. Best Buy doesn't handle warranty issues, and incase is offering a replacement. Enjoy.

3. weezite macrumors regular

I don't understand. You bought a new case from Best Buy, it deteriorated fast, and you contacted Incase and they offered to replace it... Sounds like good customer service to me. They shouldn't have to replace a 3GS case with an IP4 case. If that was they case, everyone with a 3GS case would just exchange their cases for IP4 cases and Incase wouldn't make any money.

4. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

I don't think the OP's request is unreasonable. Only people with issues could get replacements. Why does Incase care if the guy wants a different case? It should cost them about the same.

Speck gave me a different case (granted for the same phone) when I was not happy with the one I bought.

5. mkelly2115 thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree with that statement, but I have proven that my case was defective, and they agreed that there are more problem with the black slider case compared to others due to it having a thin coat of rubber on it of some sort.

My biggest thing is:

I paid 34.95 plus tax..
    A new 3GS slider is 34.95 plus tax...
    A new 4g slider is 34.95...

Why does it matter what they send me? I'm really not trying to beat the system or anything of that nature, I just do not see the difference is what case I select especially when they say I can pick any case..

They said no "upgrades". To me a "upgrade" is something that cost more money than the original product.

Also, if you were in my situation, wouldn't you want to see if you could replace a case with one that you would actually use, knowing there is no real difference? Not just get a replacement for a phone (3gs) that you plan on selling?- Just a thought.

Mattthew :apple:

6. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

get the replacement and exchange it at bestbuy...done dilly-o

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

With your logic then the iPhone 4 isn't an upgrade over the 16/32GB 3GS. They are priced at 199/299. So why does AT&T and Apple consider it an upgrade if it's the same price?? :rolleyes: The fact you aren't paying more doesn't equal not an upgrade. You know it's better hardware and you want it was "yesterday's price". Just pay the $35 for a new case or take your business else where. They aren't the only case manufactures in town.

8. mkelly2115 thread starter macrumors member

I see your point. I am a fan of their products hence why I continue to buy them, and the incase imo is one of the better cases made. I was just saying they owe me a case priced at 34.95.. why does it matter if it is for the 4,3gs,3g,2g

9. weezite macrumors regular

I would absolutely try to do what you did, but I wouldn't be surprised or angry if it didn't work. I see your point since the prices are the same, but again, you purchased the case a few months ago, it's showing signs of wear and tear (obviously not normal wear and tear as the product broke down way faster than it should have, but wear and tear nonetheless), and it wasn't purchased through them. They make think you're trying to pull one over on them just to get a new case. I'm not saying you're doing that, but they may think that. I definitely don't fault you for trying, but I can definitely see why Incase didn't exchange the cases and don't think you should be angry at them.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

No, they owe you want you paid for which was a 3GS case priced at 34.95. Your intention/hope is to slide that value to a iPhone 4 case. You originally purchased a 3GS case for your iPhone 3GS. Unless you purchased a 3GS case for an iPhone 4?

11. mkelly2115 thread starter macrumors member

Ya, I'm not angry, its only a case :D

Just seeing if incase would make it easier for me to get the product I want. Looks like I'm going to just take a replacement and sell it and put it towards a new one.:rolleyes:

Matthew :apple:

12. mkelly2115 thread starter macrumors member

Clearly I bought the incase for the 3gs not the ip4. :confused: And yes I was hoping for them let me choose a case for the ip4 since the case for the 3gs is 34.95 and the ip4 case is 34.95

13. nelly41 macrumors regular

take the new case back to bestbuy with new packaging and see if you can get store credit. then use that credit to buy a new ip4 incase when it comes out.