incase slider.. for ppl who have one already

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tjespo22, Apr 1, 2008.

1. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

does it get scratched up very easily? I was looking at the black and white. the black shows finger prints too much, im prob gonna go w/ the white but how do they hold up? do they mark up easily?

thanks
    espo

2. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

there's also a thread talking about the new incase matte black slider case. If you like the black, but dislike the fingerprints, then it looks pretty nice. Check it out on their website too www.goincase.com

3. thatdude90210 macrumors member

I have a white slider since the first couple of days after it's release. It's usually in my pocket or just lying on my desk. If I clean it up with a cloth, and look at it under reflective lights, I can see some very light scratches on the back. It's not bad, I really have to look close and use the light refection to see them.

4. zetsurin macrumors regular

Just to clarify, those scratches are on the case itself? I mean, it doesn't cause any scratches to the iPhone itself, particularly around the part that you can slide off at the bottom does it? That might sound like a silly question, but people need to realise that a number of iPhone cases currently can cause as much harm as they are supposed to prevent!

5. thatdude90210 macrumors member

Yes, I meant the case itself. I've never taken it off, including the bottom. I always just plug in the charger with the phone lying on my desk.

As for scratching the chrome when it slides out, I think that's the achilles heal of a sliding case. Dirt and dust are going to get inside no matter what. And when you slide the case out, dirt & dust are going to act like sand of a sandpaper.

When I take mine off, I'm going to try and wet it, maybe with rubbing alcohol and that might help it slide off.

I didn't do this but maybe this could work: paint a layer of lithium (or silicone) grease on the chrome before installing the case. The grease could act as a seal to prevent dirt and dust from getting in, and help it slide out later.

6. heyp macrumors 6502

what about just putting scotch tape on the chrome to protect it while it's in the case? its not like the chrome is visible when it's in the case anyways

7. thatdude90210 macrumors member

The slider goes on very tightly. So being able to keep even the thinest tape from peeling while you put it on could be very difficult. Maybe if you grease the tape surface, it might work.

8. mcmacmike macrumors member

I just bought the black matte slider (only available on their website) and the case itself doesn't get scratched up. It has a rubberized surface and it's smooth. It's a really good case. Highly recommended! I only wish they sold it at the apple store, because they really overcharge shipping at their website (goincase.com)

9. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I just received my Black Matte Incase Slider from http://goincase.com too. Don't hesistate to buy one. It doesn't scratch your iPhone and you don't scratch the case either and its not a fingerprint magnet like the normal Black version. And it doesn't add any bulk to the phone itself. I love it!

10. tjespo22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

i happen to really like the white one the best. the matte black is nice and all but kinda plain. i think im going to buy the white one, see how i like it if i dont like it, ill just return it before 14 days is up.

espo

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I have had the white Incase slider for about two weeks now. I do not have a screen protector on my iPhone yet and notice that the film that builds up on the screen from regular use, when the case is on, goes into the small crack between the chrome bezel and the screen. Then, this may cause the chrome to scratch when slid off. I have noticed a few scratches on the chrome from sliding the case on and off frequently, especially at the bottom. I now sometimes travel with the iPhone naked instead of using the case. I will admit, however, the case is very nice looking, does not show scratches on the case itslef, and does not add too much bulk to the phone.

12. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

The best way to keep the iPhone in pristine condition is leave it in the box it came in. Just sit it on your desk and admire it.

Just use the dang thing. If you find a case you like then fine use it too.
    And enjoy the thing.

13. anirudh macrumors 6502

Remember reading somewhere that the matte begins to peel of due to some design flaws.. I am stuck between the white and black glossy... Thinking of going with the black coz then my phone would match my black macbook...

14. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

The glossy black is nice, but the one main problem I had with it when I tried it out in the store, was that it got fingerprints all over it very easily.

15. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I agree, in the light you can see small scratches -- definitely not a deal breaker though.

I found that my white slider scratches the bezel over time. But I suppose if you do not take the case on and off, it won't scratch. Me personally am very anal and like a spotless phone.