Incase slider is hard to "slide"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c073186, Jun 26, 2009.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I bought the slider case for my 3G iPhone because it lets me dock my phone while being in the case. Trouble is that it is extremely hard to remove the bottom slider part. Is there an easier way to do this? I literally have to pry it with my fingernails apart. Hardly convenient if I want to charge my phone once or twice a day on my dock. Does anyone else have an issue with this or is it just me?

2. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

It gets easier. It is really tight in the beginning but will break in with use. I've had one for six months and love it.

Try grasping it on the sides and wiggling it back and forth (side to side).

3. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

CAREFUL MAN, the Incase slider case actually scratches the back of your iPhone if you repeatedly take it off/on. If you're gonna keep it on, keep it on once and only remove it (VERY SLOWLY) if you have to. It's a well known problem, it's even happened to me, so watch out.

4. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea it does get better but its going to scratch your phone. My case scratched the silver part at the bottom near where you charge the phone at. Also while trying to take it off i was kind of putting a little pressure on back and when I was able to pull it off I made a pretty deep inch long scratch in the back because the plastic was smooth on that part of the case. So now when i take it off i kind of push down and out on the bigger part so it doesnt scratch it.

But i was reading the other thread and am thinking about putting tape on the inside of the case so that it wont scratch the back.

Good Luck

5. wr1020 macrumors regular

That's the main reason why i stayed away from this case, it's a nice case but if it's gonna scratch my phone if i take it off and on what's the point. I think i'd be better off leaving the phone naked since it's pretty scratch resistant then using an incase slider. If Apple would of just used a matte back on the 3gs i'd be set.

6. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I guess I was lucky with mine. I only had very, very light scuff marks on the back of my phone from the case. I didn't get any scratches.

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I used to be so anal about keeping my phone nice, but now that it pretty much always in the case i just dont really care anymore? What the big deal about having the back scratch? You never really see the back because its in the case all the time. Whats the big deal of having a scratch on the phone where you cant even see it. Thats just me though.

And to wr1020, i dont really use my case so that it doesnt get scratched, i use it so that when i drop it it wont break into a bunch of parts. And to kind of protect my screen. Ill take a scratch in the back of my phone over a bunch of little nicks all over my phone from when i drop it any day...

8. The510Kid macrumors member

Thats what she said

9. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I like these cases but they're too expensive for the relatively low amount of protection they provide, which is why I bought the RebelSerpent from SwitchEasy. 5 dollars cheaper, cooler looking (IMO of course) and much, much more protection.

10. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It happened to me too. Its a nice case and expensive, but its not worth the scratches it puts on the back and scuffs up the bezel too. Take it back if possible.

11. chadup macrumors newbie

is the the tightness of the new incase slider that scratches the back? because my friend is loaning me his slider (expecting an iskin solo sometime next week) so it's slides on and off fairly smoothly. trouble is, i take it off to mount it on my FM transmitter in my car (taken it off and on about 4 times). there doesn't seem to be any scratches but do you think that because it's been "broken in," it shouldn't scratch as much as if were new?

12. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is kind of my opinion, also. I mean, I used to be very against a hard case because I thought it detracted too much from the phone. So I used a Sena slim pouch instead, which was really nice. But it became way too much of a pain to take in and out to use the phone. Plus, I did drop it once, and of course it got all scratched up from that. So it isn't even pretty to look at anymore. So then I figured to just get a case and, if I'm never going to have the phone be "naked" again ... then basically it's like the scratches might as well not be there... no one will ever see them and they do not affect the performance of the phone.

In any case, it is disappointing that a case will inflict (surface) damage to a phone... considering it is supposed to protect it.

13. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

So if the slider is no good, what case should I get?

I thought the slider was one of the best cases. :confused:

14. Sledutah macrumors regular

I bought one so I could use the bottom part in my car (velcro it to the dashboard) and slide the phone in and out. The case was really tight so I took it back :(
    This is what one of my coworkers does and it's pretty slick, I just need to find the right case that isn't to tight.

15. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I just bought a slider. I think the majority of scratches are caused by installing the thing. My friends and family all have them with no damage what-so-ever.

16. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I heard from someone that took it to a genius that the case can cause cracks because of the tightness.

17. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

By the way, here is my solution to that scratching issue. I read the reviews and took precautions! :)

it's the sticker that came on my ipod, cut down to size to cover that hard plastic which causes the hairline scratches.

The sticker isn't too sticky, it seems as though it is held by static, but not so. Protects my iPhone going in and out of the case :)

[​IMG]

18. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

I have a metallic red on my 3G. Fortunately no scratches so far but I've only removed the bottom half a dozen times.

I emailed Incase about the difficulty in removing the bottom part and they replied that I should try... rubber gloves. I used a piece of rubber I keep in the kitchen for unscrewing bottle and jar tops and it worked. So I keep that by my desk. I have noticed that it's getting easier and easier.

19. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha; How pathetic that one needs to keep a piece of rubber in order to remove a portion of a case that is advertised to be so simple that it can be effortlessly used with the dock. Just grab your rubber gloves and give it a go!

20. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I can't thank you enough for posting this, I will be SURE to consider this. So it was just a sticker you used? If I used paper, would that also be fine? I will try to find some alternative but this is one of my favorite cases and this definitely looks to be a great option.

21. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I think paper would dull, and masking tape would leave a residue. Its a really light semi sticky plastic that came on top of my ipod touch 2G. Works wonders and definitely worth a try :)