Incase Slider Redesigned

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by threezero, Jun 28, 2009.

1. threezero macrumors 6502

Just want to give you guys a heads up, I finally decideds to go for an incase slider and brought one from the apple store 3 days ago.

I find that the slider I brought does not have the tigh sliding acition find in other review. Is VERY smooth in and out so smooth to the point that I beleive you can have IS on and still get it in and out of the case easily. To compensate for the looseness the bottom part is not tighter and it now snaps into the top part instead of being held on by friction.

Looks like Incase listened and made improvements.

2. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Do you know if it has a different model number? I returned my Incase Slider to BestBuy today, but they only gave me store credit (actually it was more than a month old, I was lucky to return it), so I might wait until I see the new model in BestBuy because they'll probably try and empty their stock before they try and sell the newer ones. I might go with the iFrogz Luxe if it doesn't get distributed fast enough but we'll see.

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm curious about the "snaps into the top part", could you elaborate or perhaps pics if you can? Thanks!

still waiting for my Solo FX but I got a BSE skin on my iPhone right now.

4. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is the model number here is wat it saids on the price tag.

TT969VC/A

I just checked out a few older video of the slider. The bottom is assemble the exact same way but mine gives a little click as it pops into places and is alot tighter (when disassembling it). Now i'm not sure if this is because my case is new or it is purposely design this way.

The major difference is the top, it slide very very very smooth. I have no way of confirming if that means there are now more space inside the case or just a redesign rail. I have to leave that to some1 with a skin on their phone to test it out.

5. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I'm still interested in knowing whether Incase has truly redesigned it. I'm sure they're well aware that they're known for having the best case for the iPhone in terms of protection, but many people are staying away from it because of these scratches. I'll be willing to rebuy it (I returned it to Bestbuy a few days back) if it's fixed because I sure as hell loved it, but definitely not the 2 huge scratches it put on my 3G!

6. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

its the same design they just made improvements to the earlier models (when the 3G dropped last year).

i believe the box is also different

7. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Do these improvements include no scratching? I'm just hoping that the iFrogz Luxe case won't scratch, but I can't buy a Slider until I hear from a credible review source that it definitely doesn't scratch or if they at least take away that hard plastic portion that scratches.

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

i use both metallic red and charcoal sliders and my back plastic casing is scratch free. i take the case off and clean every week probably though. i have also noticed no dust gets into the case (i'm a pocket user). no nicks or scruffs either on the bezel. all good hear.

i'm probably the biggest supporter of the slider on these forums

9. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I had a slider on my old, black 3G.

It scratched the hell outta the back.

Oh... and I probably took it off maybe once or twice in the 10 months I used it.

I'm really careful with my phones, so it was a shocker for me. I wasn't even using the "slider" functionality.

:mad:

10. JCJiffy macrumors newbie

I bought two matte black Incase Sliders yesterday and was disappointed at their quality when I looked at the inside surface. One was from Best Buy and the other was from a Apple Store. They appeared to have come from completely different molds.

Here are pics of the two:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcjiffy/sets/72157620613492417/

On the inside top surface, each had a different serial of some sort etched in. One had the letter "M", the other had the letter "U". Both had raised mold lines and extra flash that would definitely potentially scratch the back of an iPhone.

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Interesting, they still haven't changed with regards to the quality. Good thing I stopped using them already, way way back...

12. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I think you might have nailed the actual problem with the back casing getting scratches. My sliders don't have that extra raised flash (the line to the right of the camera hole). My sliders are smooth all around.

Good observation indeed. I wonder if the white and black where mass rushed and made without checking since apple and best buy (which are huge retailers) carry them in there stores.

The 2 I use are smooth, fit great (charcoal and metallic red) and NOT bought in a retail store

13. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

^^ does your not have the 2 big black strip or just the raise lines?

if your doesn't have the black strip than its most likely a fake as the 2 black strip was one of it selling point to prevent scratches (whether it does or not is another story)

So far I've notice no scratches and nicks. However this being a new case I have taken it out alot to clean it. I have found with my previous slider type case (griffin Clarifi) scratch occur after a long period of not taking it out to clean it.

have to say those it look and feel soooooo nice. I'm not on the hunt for more different color. If anybody want to sell any of their pastel colors give me a shout.

14. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

From what ive seen....the case actually does more harm than protect the iphone, so im not sure where u got the idea that theyre "known for having the best case in terms of protection"

15. dread macrumors 6502a

I dropped my iphone 2g that was encased in the incase slider from 15 feet up when I was using it as a level. It hit a metal chalk board overhang and landed on tile floor on the screen. I thought for sure my phone was done. I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned it over and there was not a scratch on it. That being said it did scratch my phone pretty badly from removing the case, but at least my phone still works and I didn't have to buy a new screen for 199.

16. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Except for the "snaps into the top part" bit, this is a perfect description of how the Slider that I had on my 3G fits on my 3GS. I hate it. When trying to slide the bottom part off to dock the phone, the top part wants to slide off, instead. The top part is TOO loose for me. I've stopped using the case. Maybe I need to try a brand new one and see if there's any difference.

17. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

lol no there not fakes...they have the 2 rubber rails. the guy was talking about the raised lines that could scratch the phone

they have the exact design with lines but dont have that ugly flash problem i saw from those pics

18. lacker macrumors member

lacker

still wondering if the case has really be redesigned. How about taking a picture of how snaps into place would give us a good idea on if it changed ?
    I love my white slider and its a little roughed up and want to get a replacement :cool:

19. AGIPSY macrumors regular

you should definitely take it out and clean it a lot more than that to avoid scratches... like once a week.

20. cymrulp macrumors member

cymrulp

bought mine in NYC store in April this year, its started flaking on the back.

21. N16K macrumors newbie

I have the gloss white slider and have had no problems, nor have I found it scratched my phone.

22. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

1) The Incase Slider was not redesigned at all

2) The Incase Slider WILL NOT fit with a skin on the back. Do not even try.

23. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

actually they were redesigned and made slightly bigger. after all of the tight fitting cases, they started making them bigger. the new packaging are the newer versions on the incase slider.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Does anyone have a picture of the new packaging? I'm curious to see it.

25. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

They started doing that last summer, I know because I spoke with their customer service rep when I had one replaced. They didn't make them any larger after that.