Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psyduckiee

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Whats your opinions on both cases?? Any other choices? Thanks! :)
Two entirely different type of cases. If you want rugged protection than Defender. If you want sleekness than the slider. It clearly doesn't offer the same amount of drop protection as the Defender.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
These are almost opposite ends of the spectrum from eachother. The Defender offers more protection, but its an unattractive, bulky, silicone brick. The slider is sleek and offers less protection, but its also notorious for bubbling up screen protectors. I would recommend looking at other options from companies like Casemate, Speck, Switcheasy, and SGP. Figure out how much protection you need/want, and move from there.

Personally, I'm a fan of hybrid cases like the Switcheasy CapsuleRebel, Speck Candyshell, and to a lesser degree the SGP Neo and Casemate Pop. They offer plenty of drop protection without the brick dimensions. Most of them also have a lay on the table design + included screen protectors that wont bubble when applied properly. Otterbox has a similar case in the Commuter, but I really don't like the silicone they use so profusely in their designs.

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/CapsuleRebel_iPhone4/CapsuleRebel_iPhone4.php

or

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/candyshell-for-iphone-4.html

I have a black Rebel and I love it. I'm a klutz that always drops his phone in parking lots and bars. Yet, my white iP4 is pristine, still, thanks to this case. I almost got the Speck, but I liked the unique look of the Rebel, the slightly cheaper price, the accessories it comes with, and at the time the Candyshell had some issues that have since been addressed.

spaghetti head

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
I've been using a Defender for 3 or 4 months, and I love it. I work in a rough environment, and I also spend a lot of time mountain biking. The Defender protects my phone and for me, I wouldn't want anything less. However, whenever I pull my case apart to clean it, I always surprised at the size of the tiny phone inside of it.

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
The defender is good if all you want is protection, but it really takes away from the sleekness of the iPhone. Also I hate the built-in screen shield, it reduces screen clarity and responsiveness IMO

The Slider is alright at best, I'm not a fan since it doesn't work with screen protectors and left some scratches on my bezel.

If you really want a slider, then Casecrown Glider or Incipio Edge are better options, they provide better fit and work with screen protectors.

DW58

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Scotland
I have an Otterbox Defender on my iPad 2 and have subsequently bought them for my iPad 4 and my son's HTC Legend - I think they are superb and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.