Incase vs Spec HardCase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lykos1986, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Lykos1986 macrumors member

Hi! I am interested for a hard-shell case like the Incase Hardshell Case (Black) or the Spec SeeThru Satin (Black).

I know that the Incase has solve the problem of compatibility with the new magsafe connector but what is happening with the Spec?

Secondly it seems that the Spec case has clips in the back bottom part, while the Incase has not! This probably creates problems. Am I right?

The rubberized fits of the incase are the worst possible and goes off really shortly. Is that true?

2. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

I have the Speck hard case (clear) for my Macbook Air and i love it.
    I love the computer naked, so i leave it off at home and just make sure i dont toss it around like a frisbee.
    When i go out, i throw the case on. Goes on easy.

3. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

I liked the satin speck case for the day that I had it. It's not for me personally but I liked the feel of it a lot better than the regular cases.

4. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

i like the looks of the hardcandycades bubble skin for mbp 13 inch

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

All comes down to preferences :]
    I got the incase, but Spec cases are just right next to it as well.

6. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I like equally both of the cases but I am trying to find if there is any problem on any one of those. For example I said that the bottom back part of the incase is missing the clips that holding the case into position. This probably will create moves and friction to the aluminum.

[​IMG]

In the other hand the Spec SeeTrue has clips at the back bottom part. Probably this case has a better stability than the previous one.

[​IMG]

Can anyone confirm this? Has the incase hradshell a steady fit in the bottom part?

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

You won't have much wiggle room in either just go with the one you want.
    My friend got the incase while I got the speck, no complaints, he just paid more...

8. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible to guide me in order to find the appropriate case for the MBP 13”. I thing that I will go with the incase hardshell and that’s only because it fits the new magsafe connector. I am trying to shop from the UK store but as far as I know all of the cases are the old ones, without the magsafe fix.

Can anyone confirm this? Here is the UK Store link:
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/ho...s?n=macbookpro13&mco=MTM3NTc0NTQ&s=topSellers

Furthermore, if there is any Spec case that can fit the new magsafe please let me know.

9. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

Any news? Did anyone buy an incase hardshell from the UK store that fits the new magsafe connector?

10. ElphabaPotter macrumors newbie

I have the black Spec Satin case on my brand new MBP 15".

So far I am in love. It looks great on teh macbook and I prefer the way that it fits on these new macbooks.

I had an older MBP with the Spec SeeThru and while that was great for overall protection, you should still take the case off once every couple of weeks and wipe it down. Debris gets in there and over time it scratches the heck out of your aluminum MBP, particularly on the front where your wrists hover over.

But once I started doing better maintenance on my computer (like removing the case completely off the bottom and cleaning it) I was golden.

I really love and recommend these spec cases. Just be sure you'll take the bottom off regularly to clean it.

11. ElphabaPotter macrumors newbie

Yes, the new Satin ones allow it to fit in there nicely.

12. Covart Guest

I recently purchased a Speck clear case just in case I needed it for travelling. Here are some pics of a 13" with and without, plus weight information. This info is for the 2010 MBP 13.3". The case weighs in at approx .8 pounds. Not a lot of weight, but it does push the MBP up to just a tad over 5.5 pounds in total. (And yes, there is a bit of sanding that will be required where the magsafe adapter is. Look at the 3rd pic down to see. The battery does get powered, but the adapter sticks out just a bit. It will require about 1-1.5 mm of shaving of a bit of the plastic. Very easy to do, but why Speck hasn't corrected this, I do not know.)

With and without cases (And before anyone asks, it's a Skin-it "carbon fibre" decal)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side View:
    [​IMG]

Weight without case:
    [​IMG]

Weight with case on
    [​IMG]

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I bought mine from the UK I got the Speck See Thru Aqua. It doesn't fit the Magsafe adapter properly but it is fine IMO. The Magsafe still fits in and charges the MBP fine. If you want you can just file down the plastic a little bit but I have just left it as it charges so there is no point.

If I am being honest I think waiting for Speck to update them is a waste of time. They are only going to do what you can easily do yourself within around 5 minutes.

I bought mine for £30 from GearZap. I emailed them and they told me that Speck had not updated any of the colours of the Speck see thru to fit the new Magsafe. The only thing they have updated is the black See Thru Satin.

It is the first time I have ordered from them as I had never heard of them before and just found a link to there site through Google and I have got to say it was easy ordering and the deliver was fast. They also accept Paypal which is a plus as I had some money left over in my Paypal I used towards this.

Here is a link to the see thru satin on there site. http://www.gearzap.com/speck-seethru-satin-hard-shell-case-for-15-macbook-pro-black.html

And here is a link to the others

http://www.gearzap.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Speck+See+Thru+Macbook+Pro&order=relevance&dir=desc

Here are two pics of the Magsafe on mine. You can either just leave it like it is or turn it round the other way or shave a bit of the plastic off so it first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Covert -

Where did you get the carbon fiber for the MBP? Is it a case or something else?

15. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

16. Covart Guest

It's just a decal. Got it from www.skinit.com. Do a search for Carbon Fiber for the MacBook Pro 13" (2009/2010)

Normally, they are $29.99, but there was a discount for something like $20 when I got mine.

17. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

not sure about other countries but the new magsafe models have already been released by speck in the states