Incentive from carriers for using their service when the new iphone drops?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by erinh, Jul 19, 2011.

1. erinh macrumors newbie

Regarding the 'new' iphone and its carriers, the one thing I wonder is:
    What incentive will carriers offer for customers wanting to adopt a new service to get the iphone(5/4s/whatever) upon launch?

IE: what is the probability of either ATT or Verizon offering some sort of incentive such as unlimited data for a window period to attract customers to them, given that the phone will be available at the same time on both carriers. (I don't see why apple would pander to one carrier and give them the edge over the other)

I realize I'm asking for speculation, but it seems anything regarding any new apple product is speculation... might as well have some speculation regarding carriers.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't think the carriers need to offer any incentives. The newest iphone is incentive enough. Do you not recall the previous launches?

People will choose whatever service is better for them

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

They will offer the same subsidized pricing for the phone. Nothing more.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not much, it might be new for the USA to have multiple carriers but in Canada all 3 main companies have the iphone so there is no incentive you just go with the carrier you want

5. erinh thread starter macrumors newbie

yes. Do you? att was the sole carrier in all previous launches of *new* iphones in the US. You've actually hit on the reason I just started this thread, though. ;)
    They had no competition.

When 2 companies compete, they usually offer some sort of incentive to get the customer through their door and to buy from them rather than the other guy. Thus, the reason for this thread. If both companies carry the same product, one would think they might offer something to attract the new customers to them.
    I don't expect unlimited plans, but one has to wonder if they'll try to have some sort of edge over the other company to pull in customers.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

read my post above nothing changes when multiple carriers have it

7. erinh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. I saw that.

Like I said, I don't expect anything will happen. I was just thinking that it seems the opportunity is there to pull in new customers and to do so, you have to offer something the other doesn't have.
    could very well be nothing will be done in this regard and the customer is left to choose the carrier bsaed on their coverage/price needs.

Still, as much as we love to speculate about all things iphone, I figured this thread wasn't too far 'out there'. :D

8. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

so you created a useless thread?

9. erinh thread starter macrumors newbie

there's a difference in not expecting something and being certain that the unexpected will occur. It's still a legitimate thread even though I'm sure its speculation. Besides, I got a reply that hit right on: Canada has had this situation before and there was no (apparent) incentive offered.

The "yep I saw that" was in reference to a post above. If I hadn't made this thread there wouldn't have been that reply for me to see. So, quoting that portion of my reply... what was the point?

'sides, I'm not sure if you've looked around this forum but there are many, many 'useless' threads.

Now to get to the expected:
    If this is a useless thread, why post in it? (rhetorical question, for sure)
    Your hypocrisy crown awaits. Shall we play the blame game or continue OT? :confused:

10. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

If you realize there are many pointless threads, why create another one? I am simply trying to bring to your attention that yes this forum has become a clusterf**k of the same threads over and over or simply nonsensical with people assuming what is or could be. Better yet, why not just wait til it happens.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Why would we need incentive? It's the newest device. That, and the fact that not everyone's contract runs out around the speculated release date, therefore they're still on contract and therefore would stay with the same carrier until the contract is up or pay the ETF fee.

If you're looking to sign a contract then I can see where your question could come into play, but I still think that the carriers themselves will simply offer the phone and the standard plans. People are going to bite no matter what.

12. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The iPhone is just another line item for AT&T and Verizon.
    A very expensive one at that.

Remember, Apple has tight control over iPhone pricing, so the carriers need to make the money from the services side since very little is made on the phone itself after subsidy costs.

They have no incentive to offer cheaper rates for the iPhone.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

In Canada certain carriers offer a 6Gb data plan for $30 around the time a new iPhone launches. This is actually an amazing option, and one that in waiting for since I currently pay $25 for 500Mb