Incessant Kernel Panic Issues with Macbook Pro 17

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean.Perrin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Sean.Perrin macrumors newbie

Helo everyone,

I have had my 17 inch MacBook Pro for almost one year. Ever since installing leopard 11 months ago the computer has experienced kernel panic issues on a daily basis. (However, I cannot prove leopard is the cause as it only started occurring several months after the installation, perhaps 10.5.2 is the culprit?)

Anyways, I am on my fourth logic board (two were completely fried, one I demanded be replaced). The fourth (and current) logic board is no better. The computer is having two to three kernel panics per day, especially after waking from sleep, or after a bluetooth connection has been lost and then rediscovered (for example, when the mouse wakes up after being asleep for an hour.) I can no longer imagine that the logic board is at fault even though that's what they replace every time, perhaps the bluetooth module?

The computer has also experienced a faulty optical drive and bottom casing (the latter of which is still waiting to be repaired.)

Needless to say, I will be purchasing extended applecare soon (I still can) but I also sorely miss my iBook G4, and would still use it if it was suitable for my work (audio).

What should I do? Does anybody else have this problem? Suggestions or should I just CCC the drive, swipe it, reinstall 10.5.1 and hope for the best?

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro 17
    Leopard 10.5.4
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 667 Ram
    160 GB HD

I do use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on a regular basis which seems to drastically increase the number of kernel panics.

Thanks in advance.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

3. Sean.Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

The RAM is fine... that was a concern when I took it in.

But I've only had it three months and it has made no difference in the number of crashes...

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. Sean.Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night I did the extended diagnostics test and it passed.

I swiped the drve clean and reinstalled OS 10.5.1, then migrated from time machine.

The first thing that happened (as soon as I went to use bluetooth equipment) was that it had THREE kernel panics back to back.

I am livid, to say the least.

6. macaron1 macrumors member

macaron1

Certainly sounds like the logic board is not the culprit.

It may be superfluous to ask, but have you tried running a clean installation, without migrating anything from your old setup, to see if the issue persists?

If yes, then your only option is to take it back to Apple, explain the whole history, and demand a solution.

It would also be helpful if you figured out a way to trigger a crash so you can demo the problem. Run some CPU-intensive, write-heavy apps simultaneously to see if that induces a crash.

7. Sean.Perrin thread starter macrumors newbie

Talked to apple today.

They are going to replace the HD and if that doesn't fix it (it won't) they are sending me a brand new machine.

Now that's service. But it's about ****ing time after 4 logic boards, a hard drive, temp sensor, optical drive AND bottom case. Jesus.