Inches away from buying the 21.5" iMac! HELP! (proscons)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DollFaceDork, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Hiii!

Well I'm about to go through checkout on an iMac 21.5" 2011 model but I'm so excited I'm getting jitters!?!

Anybody out there have one who would have any suggestions? Any cons? Any of them outweigh the pros?

Any help/ advice would be useful!

K

2. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

It would help if you told us what you want to do with your new iMac.

3. DollFaceDork thread starter macrumors 6502

DollFaceDork

Ohhhh.

Sorry I'm new to all this!

Well mainly for editing digital photography but also as a day for day desktop

:confused:

4. gangof4 macrumors member

gangof4

I bought the exact same iMac as you are contemplating only three months ago. I had the early Apples in the '80s such as the IIC and the IIGS but then wandered aimlessly through the wilderness of Microsoft for the last 21 years. It is good to be back!

You will love your iMac, though if you do a lot of digital photography work, I suppose some forum members will recommend you purchase the larger sized screen.

5. ascNYC macrumors member

Can't go wrong

I just upgraded my 17" 1.83GHz Core Duo iMac to a 2011 21.5" 2.8 GHz i7. I got it with a 2TB HDD and 4GB RAM which I upped to 12GB after the fact.

I was/am doing a fair amount of photo editing via Aperture. Mostly RAW and PP with Aperture and the Nik plugin suite. The 21.5" is plenty big for me for photo editing. I have over 5K photos in my library and also have a 25K iTunes library. This new machine screams at everything I throw at it (Handbrake movie conversions, iMovie rendering, photo editing, 20 page Safari sessions, etc.). Can't seem to slow it down.

Some may suggest you opt for the 27" or a SSD but I didn't have room for the 27" so that was never an option for me. The SSD was a consideration however didn't feel it was worth the $$$ and I am looking forward to see what comes out for Thunderbolt. As I said I can't imagine this thing being a lot faster or better suited for my needs.