Incipio Acquires Griffin Technology

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Accessory maker Incipio today announced that it has acquired Griffin Technology, a company known for its wide range of accessories for Apple's line of devices. Incipio and Griffin did not disclose the terms of the deal.

[​IMG]
    Under Incipio, the Griffin Technology brand name will be maintained and it will continue to retain its global headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee. Products, such as Griffin's Survivor series, will still be sold.

Incipio has made a number of acquisitions in recent months, purchasing brands that include Skullcandy, Clamcase, and Incase.

Article Link: Incipio Acquires Griffin Technology

2. Kevin2055 macrumors regular

3. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

To attempt to put a stronghold on choice and pricing?

4. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I never would have predicted the rise of Incipio. My first ever iPhone case for the iPhone 3g (I went caseless on the original iPhone) was Incipio. I bought it at AT&T on launch day. It was horrible. The edges flexed a ton and it was really flimsy. I can't believe that they've got to this point. Today they make some of the best cases, such as the NGP, and now own Incase and Clamcase, two of my favorite iPhone accessory makers. How long before they buy Belkin, Speck, Anker and Otterbox?

5. snebes macrumors 6502a

Well this seems... backwards. Would have thought Griffen was the giant and Oncipio the bug to squash.

6. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Of the brands Incipio has acquired, Griffin has the best quality, which isn't saying much.

7. WiseAJ macrumors 6502

WiseAJ

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I believe Otterbox is a LifeProof property now.

9. jdclifford macrumors 6502

Gain market share and stifle competition resulting in higher prices and less consumer choice.

10. Ihatefall macrumors regular

Agreeded.
    I bought an NGP for my iPhone 5 launch week because it was the only thing I could find. (Remember case makers though the 5 would have a tapered design.) Used it on the 5S as well and when it came time to get a case for the new 6 plus, I went and looked for the new NGP.
    It's thin but it does its job

11. demodave macrumors regular

demodave

Surely *this* will not be good for competition or consumers.

12. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

That's the first time I hear of Incipio. After looking at their site and previous acquisitions, they make cell phone cases and some basic charging equipment. All in all very low-tech, run-of-the-mill stuff.

Griffin, on the other hand, has provided much more unique accessories over the years, filling various (in some cases niche) needs. I hope the division will be allowed to continue in that direction. The press release seems to suggest that. But with acquisitions, you never know what the long term holds.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

My wife loves her Clamcase. It's the highest quality iPad keyboard I've ever used. As for Incase, I haven't used their cases in years, but back in the day the slider case was one of the best around. I mainly use their bags today, and the ones I have a great quality.

I thought it was the other way around? But who knows, maybe they could buy out the whole group.