Incipio Feather Case - Plasti-dip mod

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by bursthead, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bursthead, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

So I purchased the Incipio Feather for the ipad 2. I've only had it a few days and got a nice dark smudge that I can't remove. I then thought about using some old vinyl stickers to paste on the back. Due to the materials of the incipio feather case you cant stick anything to the back.

So I thought why not try clear plastidipping the back and applying the vinyl to it. Unfortunately that didn't work, as I applied the vinyl stickers it pulled the plastidip off the back.

[​IMG]

I also ran into the issue of peeling with my cars grill I plastidipped a while back. I had waxed it before I applied the plastidip, and it prevented the plastidip from adhering to the grill.

[​IMG]

So I was back to square one. I got another sticker in from Japan, luckily it held a lot better than the vinyl, but I still wanted to protect the back and cover up the smudge. So i tried it plastidipping it again. I used the matte black which you can pick up at your local hardware store.

[​IMG]

It's kind of messed up on the bottom and top left hand corners. I was running low paint in the can, so I had to tilt it. Unfortunately it came out a lot more thicker and I had overspray in those areas. I'm out of paint at the moment, so I will have to wait until I get more to redo the areas.

[​IMG]

Finally I took a can of the clear plastidip to coat the entire case. I did this to seal the entire thing off. I didn't want the plastidip to peel or tear off later. We will see if it holds, I just did this an hour ago, so the durability on a incipio feather case is unknown. Message me if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

Tips: Buy good masking tape like 3m quality. I purchased a cheaper brand at Walmart and it peeled off as I was painting which messed up my lines. If you want a straight line make sure you peel off the masking tape after about a minute so it doesnt adhere to the masking tape. If you wait you will rip off the rest of the plastidip.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

did you already have the plastidip?

Seems like with time and materials invested you were on your way to a new back cover...

Either way, I appreciate the creativity.

I used plastidip on a chrome piece on my wifes car that I really didn't like. Turnd out great!

3. bursthead, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

bursthead thread starter macrumors 6502

bursthead

Yes,

I have been doing a lot of plastidip projects on my friends and my own cars. I did my wheels and they have held up admirably.

I enjoy projects like this and coupled with the ability to rip it off if it doesn't turn out the right way is pretty awesome. Plastidip is 6 dollars a can so it's a reasonably price project. I'm going to be doing the same thing this week de-chroming with plastidip a friends car.

Update: I used Plasti-dip metalizer
    [​IMG]

4. Archer1440, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

I ride sportbikes and have seen this sort of thing gain popularity.

Easy enough to undo.

5. bursthead thread starter macrumors 6502

bursthead

What does riding a sport bike have to do with anything?

Though I have not seen anyone plastidip a sport bike yet. I have seen someone use 3m vinyl to wrap a entire bike.

6. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I've seen sport bike riders plasti dip the rear sets, pegs and windscreens. I wish I would have thought about that before getting mine powdercoated. I plasti dipped my bumper on my truck. It's been holding up for well over a year now. I love that stuff!

7. glen e macrumors 68030

love plastidip too - but won't the flexing of the cover enhance it peeling off?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Pretty creative. I'd like to plasti-dip my feet.

9. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

This, exactly.

10. Arkham.insane macrumors newbie

I really hope they start making case protectors for cases. Like a gelaskin for the incipio which you can then use on the iPad safe in the knowledge the incipio will remain pristine.

But what if the gelaskin gets a mark on it??

11. bursthead thread starter macrumors 6502

bursthead

Plastidip will flex. The only issue is with the corners. If your constantly taking your cover on and off you will run into an issue. But you could always get around that by masking the corners entirely.

----------

thanks for clarifying.

----------

my apologies..