iPad Pro Incipio Feather for iPad Pro (12.9")

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MadDog31, Apr 9, 2016.

1. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I've searched everywhere for some user reviews on the Feather for the iPad Pro but can't find any. So, has anyone in here used one yet?

I am inclined to go with just a SmartCover, but would consider the Feather if it didn't add bulk. The Apple silicone case is nice, but I feel like it would add a bit too much bulk to an already giant iPad. My last iPad (the 3) had the SmartCover + Incipio combo and it was really pretty bulky...wondering if a few years have changed things.

Thanks group!

2. ftlum, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016

ftlum macrumors regular

I missed that one-- I ended up getting the ESR case myself. I do know that at least for the iPhones, Feather cases add very little bulk but also not much protection aside from scratches. I'll bet they end up being the thinnest ones you'll be able to get for an iPad-- it seems unlikely there will be a case like the Veil in an iPad Pro size, but I could be mistaken http://www.caudabe.com/collections/ipad-air-accessories -- they did manage to make one for the Air.

I am happy with that ESR case, though. It's TPU material, so there is some minor bump protection (probably a touch more than what I'm guessing the Feather has, though at a small cost of bulk and weight-- probably similar to one of Apple's silicone cases) and the buttons are covered (you press on the case itself to activate the buttons). This turned out to be a better approach than my first case-- buttons that are accessed through cut outs are harder to press. Plus the ESR case was cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/ESR-Perfect-Keyboard-Protection-2015_Charcoal/dp/B0171BYP10

But if you really don't want bulk, you might want to check out a skin. It would at least provide some scratch protection.

3. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the links. Very intriguing. I went ahead and just rolled with the Feather -- when I get it in I will report back to this thread for anyone in the future that's looking at getting one.

4. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just received the Incipio Feather today -- easy snap-on, thin, lightweight. Doesn't add the extra bulk that my past ones from them have done. All-in-all I feel much better about having a little something guarding the back. I like the switch openings too. Very happy with this purchase for those looking at this item for their own iPad.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Still happy with it? I had one on my iPad Air and was very happy with.

6. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I resisted getting the Feather cover for about 2 weeks before I gave in. I had one on my iPad 3 but opted for using only a grippy skin on my iPad Air for the past 2 years. I didn't like little dings in the chamfered edge so I wanted to prevent them on the Pro. I realized that there's almost 3.5 feet chamfered edge on the big iPad Pro so my chances of little dings was even greater.

7. MadDog31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just now seeing this. I still really like the Feather -- it's minimalist and gives me enough protection for placing it on a variety of surfaces. I've noticed it's not as "grippy" as the one I had on the iPad 3, so I was initially a bit put off by that, but after some use I don't really mind it now. All in all I am glad I rolled with the Feather.

8. iBighouse, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016

iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

I've used the Incipio feather on every one of my previous iPads (3 & 4) and just ordered on for my iPad Pro 12.9...the ONLY issue I've ever had with them was the clear model started to "melt" for lack of a better term. The plastic material became sticky after about a year like it was chemically being altered and broken down.

I contact Incipio about it, sent them some pictures, and they sent me a replacement one for free....LONG after I initially purchased it- so they have my vote for excellent customer service.

It isn't a bumper type or otter box type of protector. It simply allows me to set it down on any surface and not worry about scratchign the aluminum backs on my ipads. That is typically enough protection for me as I'm pretty careful about where I rest mine...though, there was the one time I dropped it off a ledge and dented the chamfered corner on my iPad...the feather certainly did nothing to provent that!

Update: Just received my Incipio feather today and installed it on the back of my ipad pro. I like it. It rides a bit higher than the one did on my iPad4, but doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. I thought it was going to be opaque, but was surprised to see that it's just a very dark transluscent grey. You can still see the apple logo through it.