Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has had experience using both of these cases and which they think is the best.

NGP looks a bit boring, but then im not sure how annoying that stupid logo port hole on the Commuter will be.

I don't tend to take my iPhone out of either case very often, so that's not an issue.

However, couple of questions - i have a Brodit proclip in my car with the pass-through dock and im not sure if the dock flap on the Commuter will allow it to dock it into the Brodit. And how do they cope with screen protectors - do they cause any problems or even help keep them on?

Also, i love how thin my Feather is but it just leaves the screen protector so vulnerable (Power Support Crystal lasted less than 24 hours). But how much thicker is the Commuter than the NGP?

Thanks.

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
i have a commuter and im loving the case so far.

here are a few complaints that i got:
-the dock connect flap (for me); takes awhile to take off. unless i got something to help me take it off ie a card or something.
-when i take off the case to clean the phone and such. i noticed there are some lint/dust in the inner silicone part.
-the circle (which shows the apple logo) if you touch the back a lot. then you take it off, you'll notice that there is a circle of finger prints on it haha

and for screen protector, i got PS Crystal clear HD. and it works fine with it(commuter case). i might get a PS back protector for it too, since the circle of finger prints is getting annoying.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I've used the Otterbox Commuter but haven't really experienced the NGP by Incipio (although HAVE used Incipio's Feather and Sylicrylic cases).

Before I purchased the Commuter, I must've read EVERY review out there about it out!! Also watched loads of reviews on YouTube which kinda swayed me into buying one!

Initial thoughs of the case were pretty good. It offers loads of drop protection and is probably borderline when it comes to bulkiness. The hole in the back for the Apple logo did not bother at all as when you lie your phone on it's back, the logo is obviously raised off the surface so won't really get scratched at all.

However, for me, in the end, what DID bother me about the Commuter is the amount of lint that the silicone parts actually attract - especially when in your denim jeans pockets but that's just my opinion!

Like I said earlier, haven't really had any experience with the NGP by Incipio but their other products I've used have been top quality.
:D

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I've used the Otterbox Commuter but haven't really experienced the NGP by Incipio (although HAVE used Incipio's Feather and Sylicrylic cases).

Before I purchased the Commuter, I must've read EVERY review out there about it out!! Also watched loads of reviews on YouTube which kinda swayed me into buying one!

Initial thoughs of the case were pretty good. It offers loads of drop protection and is probably borderline when it comes to bulkiness. The hole in the back for the Apple logo did not bother at all as when you lie your phone on it's back, the logo is obviously raised off the surface so won't really get scratched at all.

However, for me, in the end, what DID bother me about the Commuter is the amount of lint that the silicone parts actually attract - especially when in your denim jeans pockets but that's just my opinion!

Like I said earlier, haven't really had any experience with the NGP by Incipio but their other products I've used have been top quality.
:D

Sounds like you changed cases, what are using now? I'm open to other suggestions but in drawn to the Commuter and NGP.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Where did you get yours?

.......I got the Candyshell from Amazon for around £20 which included postage & packaging (quite a good price considering the Candyshells normally retail for around £30) and the PDair pouch was from their own website.

The Speck Candyshell should be arriving today.......:)

...well - 2 hours later and my Speck Candyshell in white is happily sitting on iPhone 4 after being delivered by Mr Postie....!:D

Initial impressions are that its a very slick and good looking case which will provide a great deal of drop protection. Its about the same bulkiness as the Otterbox Commuter (which I had previously) so thats what I'm used to and thats good for me.

The camera cut out seems to have the 'keyhole' design (as opposed to the elongated oval cut-out) so don't really know if this is the old version or the revised version but all in all, don't really use the flash so either way - it works for me.

The only very minor thing I would say about this case is that the Sleep/Wake button at the top does not give a satisfying 'click' when pressed - possibly due to the case being too tight around the top. The volume buttons, however, do provide a 'click' so dunno if its an issue with just my case or not but not really a big enough issue for me to send it back.

On a plus point - I have managed to find a black port cover for the 30 pin dock and also the port cover for the headset jack (which came with an old Switcheasy Capsule Neo case for the iPhone 3G) which seem to fit perfectly with the Candyshell and also match the colour of the white version - a perfect combination......:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.