Incipio ORION iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by emr25, Jul 22, 2008.

1. emr25 macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Incipio ORION sleeve? It doesn't really matter whether you had it for 1stGen, 3G, or iTouch, since they make the case for all 3 (although I'm sure they are different cuts, sizes). I ordered the Burnt Orange for my White 3G a few days ago but wanted to hear others opinions on how it protects while in a pants pocket, etc. as this will be my primary use for it. Thanks :)

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

That thing is ugly as sin. I would order a foofpod or fabrix case.
    www.foofshop.com
    www.fabrixcases.com
    Or something along those lines.

3. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Well I don't recall asking for anyones aesthetic approval, but thanks for the response. Does anyone have any experience with the FUNCTIONALITY of the product?

4. starbot007 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in this case too. I like the EasyReach it has for removing the phone, but I heard that after awhile, the cases loosens and your phone can slip out.

5. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

The EasyReach was also one of the main reasons I ordered this case, I have heard that many pouches are so tight it is difficult to get iPhone out without breaking things, which is not acceptable! However, I have not heard the issue with loosening over time. Actually, I have read in numerous places that it is a very snug fit and maintains its form for an acceptable time period (whatever that may be) and since it is only $17.99 (including free shipping) on Amazon I figure I can replace it if it does stretch over a significant time period (that is if I do like the product).

Also, I will try to post pictures and an initial review when it gets in, which should be in the next few days (hopefully by Friday!).

6. DarrenC macrumors member

I picked one up at the AT&T store when I got my 3G (it was the only 3G case they had and I wanted something immediately). I thought I'd use it until I found another case.

Turns out I really like it. It is a very thin and snug fitting. It keeps the iPhone from slipping from your hand without being sticky. It installs and removes very quickly. The only downside is that it's a little hard to get in and out of my pocket due to the 'stickiness'.

I'd definitely recommend it for the price...

7. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else have any experiences with this case? Or Incipio in general?

8. DarrenC macrumors member

What, you don't believe me? :)

9. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Ha that's not it at all, just looking for as much information as I can before I get to test the case out for myself. I appreciate your feedback very much and am glad to hear your recommendation! :)

The price was the biggest reason I liked the case, as I stated before, I got it for $17.99 with free shipping, so if it does stretch over time I wouldn't have a problem ordering another one.

10. DarrenC macrumors member

I do think you'll like it. Even after I decide on a holster case I'll probably keep this one just for the times I want to carry it in my pocket.

Good luck!

11. SpY2K macrumors newbie

SpY2K

I made the mistake of ordering direct from Incipio and paid more than Amazon is selling it for, and they are stating it's not available to ship due to backorder! I ordered on 7/18..

Fri 18-Jul-2008 Paid-Backorder $25.94

Lame! I still have not received any updates and when I call Incipio it goes direct to their VM. I also ordered the burnt orange for my white 16GB as it will go nicely with my InCase MacBook Pro Sleeve and I am a sucker for orange. heh

Anyhow... do post your photos and review once you recieve yours... I'm still patiently waiting... :rolleyes:

12. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I ordered the Olive Green (personally a favorite color of mine) for my black 3G and I really like the case. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, it keeps it nice and snug while in my pocket, or when I just want to throw it on my desk.

One downside for me is the EasyReach, mine doesn't quite pull the phone out as much as I would like it to. It pulls it out enough for me to get the phone out, but I'd like it to be just a smidgen more.

Here are some pics I've taken...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    edit: Re-linked images to original sizes... attaching would have been easier -.-

13. jerseiko macrumors newbie

thanks for the photos lilmitch! it looks nice, i might give this a try.

14. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

No problem :) I had fun taking them!

This is a pretty good basic sleeve that keeps your phone in place and away from stuff that will scratch it. And for 20 bucks, it's hard to beat.

15. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

I made that same mistake, but as soon as I saw that it was backordered through Incipio I emailed them and requested a cancellation. They were very easy to deal with and cancelled my order, issuing a full refund (since it had not shipped it wasn't a very difficult process). I then ordered from Amazon for $17.99 (including free shipping) on a Monday and received it on a Friday.

So far the case has done exactly what I expected and I really like the burnt orange! My only complaint is that there is a small gap in the front and back of the case (towards the center line), but this is most likely due to the curvature of the 3G back and will "mold" over time and use. It is a snug fit and iPhone will not fall out even when turned upside down. The EasyReach is definitely useful, but I would agree that it could pull iPhone just a little bit farther out of the case. I plan to post pictures as soon as I get a chance, which will probably be this weekend some time.

Also, I now plan to order a Royal Blue ORION case from Amazon for my 16GB iPod Touch. I am somewhat OCD on having my accessories uniform and I also am a huge Florida Gators fan, so having orange and blue would be a plus! :)

16. SpY2K macrumors newbie

SpY2K

Do post a photo or two of the burnt orange sleeve if you could... I know I will eventially get mine, but it is still backordered and I'd like to see the real world color (as opposed to the design image on the site). Amazon is showing it not shipping for 3-5 weeks, so they must be waiting for the backorder to fill as well... hmph. :(

17. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for not getting any pictures posted, I sent my ORION case back this morning. After about a weeks use, the gap from the somewhat rounded shape of the back of the 3G was getting worse. The case loosened a lot over just 7 days use, and when I was carrying it in my hand (phone in case), the phone slipped out way too easily and dropped (luckily onto carpet, no scratches :)). If you are wondering about the burnt orange color, it is a little darker than the pictures from the website, but it is a very nice orange. Color was not a problem at all for me with this case, only function.

I ordered a Sena UltraSlim Pouch in orange last night, and should be receiving it by Friday (I hope). Refund from Incipio (Amazon) should come around the same time. I hope this issue does not affect anyone else who ordered or has the Incipio Orion case. I think part of the problem is they used the same case for iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPhone 3G, so it wasn't the best fit.

18. SpY2K macrumors newbie

SpY2K

Well you inspired me to do the same and order a Sena Ultra Slim Pouch..... Hopefully this sleeve will stay nice and snug longer than it seesm the Orion does. It seems as though the Sena cases carry a better track record for quality based on my research of user reviews. I like that it also has the speaker holes near the bottom of the sleeve and while I like the perforated look of the Incipio, the Sena has that leather texture that is very nice as well. Which will arrive sooner... tick tock...

19. emr25 thread starter macrumors member

I also have read that Sena are good quality. I'm not sure the ORION was actual leather, which may have been why it didn't fit as well. The UltraSlim supposedly fits very tight for the first few days and then molds to the form of the phone. I apologize for not getting any pictures posted of the ORION, but I will definitely post some and a quick review of the UltraSlim when it gets here. If it doesn't satisfy my needs either, I think the next option is a Beyza Slimline, not sure which model yet but I like the looks of both pouch type the offer. Let me know what you think of the Incipio and Sena when they arrive, and feel free to post pictures and/or a review as well. :)

20. SpY2K macrumors newbie

SpY2K

My Sena UltraSlim pouch has arrived and so far so good... very nice top quality soft leather, great stitching, and love the orange color! I got it yesterday and left it in the sleeve over night and it appears to be forming to the shape of the iPhone 3G. We'll see how snug it stays over the coming week... Incipio Orion has finally shipped and is on its way to me... will be interesting to compare....

21. Webqueen macrumors newbie

Alternative to Incipio Orion: Marware CEO Glide

I purchased two of the Marware CEO Glide cases for the iPhone 3G. They fit snugly, are lined nicely, and the velcro closing tab also does the same thing as the Incipio-- you give it a little tug and the phone pulls out of the case far enough to grab it.

Comes in red, black, and (off) white. Have been using it for three weeks with no problems.