Incipio Silicrylic Dual Protection Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JoshHawn, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JoshHawn macrumors member

I picked this up at my local AT&T Store. I was torn between this and the Incipio NGP case which you can see here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=951301

The Silicrylic caught my eye more because of its two layer protection scheme - a soft inner layer of silicone that protects the phone and a harder acrylic outer layer that helps the silicone keep shape and provide extra ruggedness. Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Here are 5 more photos so you can see more of it.

Attached Files:

3. Psant macrumors regular

How well does it slide in and out of your pocket?

4. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Because it's surrounded by the acrylic case, it slides easily in and out of your pocket, unlike an all-around silicone case would.

I noticed that some lint likes to stick on to the silicone parts that are exposed though, but not enough that it bothers me.

5. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

Josh~

Thanks for posting, this was exactly what I was looking for; but it doesn't seem like anyone has one. Couple of Q's:

How is the fit/finish?

Does it feel/look like it would protect from fall? An example being slipping from waist level?

Was it worth it? Or do you think there are better out there? Your opinions.

6. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

It's very good. I can tell the two pieces were made to fit together. The only thing I can think to complain about would be the edges where the silicone pieces were cut/molded, but all silicone cases have that issue.

I would trust it. I'll give it a try now ... *gets up and drops iPhone 4 from 6 feet* ... All I had was carpet, but it lived. Collected some lint though. Maybe I should vacuum.

From what's available and all that I've seen so far, yeah, I think it was worth it. I was going to buy a Bumper but local Apple Store is out of stock, and I was nervous about the back not being covered. HOWEVER >__> there is another case from Incipio that isn't available yet called the duroSHOT DRX. which is very similar to this Silicrylic case, but rather than silicone, it uses their "soft and semi-rigid NGP material" which is what this case is made out of. I'm thinking about maybe buying that as soon as I read some reviews or see it in person.

Hope that helps.

7. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

Thanks for your thoughts, I had seen the other one on their site. Not really sure if I want to wait, but the silicrylic looks nice.

8. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Okay... Any more questions? It also came with a yellow silicone layer along with black. Anyone want me to post a photo of that one?

9. paa627 macrumors newbie

Do you know how it fits with protective films on the iphone? Would there be problems?

10. Macgenius23 macrumors newbie

Yes, please post pictures of the yellow case as I was thinking of getting one.

11. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

is it a dust magnet? how about a Zagg installed? Interference?

12. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

There should be no problem putting protective films like the ZAGG Invisible Shield. It might even make the silicone layer fit better if anything.

I've had the iPhone 4 in my pocket for about an hour and just took it out. The case has a little bit of lint on it, but I wouldn't call it a "dust magnet" it's not that bad IMO.

I'll post a photo with the yellow layer in a few minutes, my batteries are charging for my camera.

13. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

looks nice. consider this one.

there was one at an local att store, but it was the florescent green...:(

14. 28Fiend macrumors member

28Fiend

Josh~

I forgot to ask how snug it was, or if there was any play?

15. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Here it is with the yellow inner silicone shell:

Attached Files:

16. Greeney03 macrumors member

This looks really good Josh! I might stop by at my local AT&T tomorrow and get this. Thanks!

17. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Here's a video I just made with my Fuji FinePix S700 camera. The video quality isn't the best because the video camera doesn't do well indoors and only shoots at 480p 4:3.

It goes over me taking the case off and then putting it back on again while showing off the different parts of the case.

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

18. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Dang, I like that first one in all black...thanks for posting those pictures. I haven't really thought about getting a case, but that's a nice option.

19. Jayp03 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the video review!

But I have two questions regarding the case.

1. It seemed really easy to take off; do you think there is any chance of it "accidentally" coming off when handling/holding only the plastic part of the case?

2. Is the LED flash affected at all by the case?

Thanks.

20. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Definitely not coming off by accident; you have to gently pry it off from the edge. I have to kind of get my thumb nail under the acrylic part to start to get if off, so it's not too easy to get off, but it's also not hard to get off either. It's just right.

GOOD QUESTION! I'll do a test.

21. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

Here are some pictures with captions explaining the situation...

After taking several other pictures, I have concluded that the LED Flash just isn't any good at all, either way. I looked at it more with the LED on, but covered up, and it looks like a lot of light leaks into the pocket where the camera lens is at, that's not good :eek:

Attached Files:

22. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Do you by chance have some kind of screen on the back? I've not seen the flash do that on the iPhone 4 as of yet when nothing is on it.

23. JoshHawn thread starter macrumors member

no... nothing is covering the back or the lens. There are no scratches or anything. I think it's just light leaking into the camera :eek: :confused:

24. Greeney03 macrumors member

Yeah, mine's not that blurry at all without a case..

25. ColReb22 macrumors member

That looks like the same type of case as the OtterBox Commuter. I might have to pick one up since OB isn't shipping yet.