Incipio Smart Feather vs. Marware Micro Shell

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ZBoater, Mar 24, 2012.

1. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This has probably been posted already somewhere, but in case it hasnt...

I'm holding both in my hand right now. I like the Incipio feel better, it seems softer/nicer/thinner than the plasticky Marware. BUT the Incipio locks in the smart cover "permanently", meaning I have to remove the Incipio cover to remove Apple smart cover. The Incipio cover has a piece of plastic along the side that covers the spine of the Apple smart cover.

The Marware cover has that whole area "open", meaning you can easily remove/reattach the Apple smart cover.

So if you are hoping to match one of these with your Apple smart cover, just know that the Incipio "traps" your Apple smart cover while the Marware leaves it open. I don't think one is "better" than the other, except maybe for the fact the Apple smart cover is not coming out while you have the Incipio cover installed. That is not necessarily a good or bad thing.

I'm sticking with the Marware because I like detaching the Apple smart cover a lot. My wife is keeping the Incipio because she doesn't like detaching the Apple smart cover. Amazing.

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The entire reason I chose the Feather was because it locks the smart cover in place. I never detach it so this was a very handy thing for me.

3. glen e macrumors 68030

if you slide your ipad with smartcover into a backpack/bag that is crowded and do it a lot, you'll want to lock on....

4. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

same here . . good combo, works really well together

5. JLee361 macrumors member

Looks like I'm getting the smart feather, thanks.

6. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I have a Smart Feather on order and I like it because it locks on the Smart Cover. Ideally, it would have another magnet so when I open the Smart Cover and fold it back and it stays in place. So the Smart Feather isn't perfect for me. :( I saw an Incase back cover that does have this magnet and you can prop up the iPad using the Smart Cover with an angle most don't have. But the Incase doesn't lock the Smart Cover in place.

7. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I have the mareware and there is a gap between the case and iPad where the smart cover attaches. It's several mm wide and dust/dirt can and will get trapped scratching the iPad. I need to call mareware and get this taken care of. The case does not sit flush on all sides only the top. :mad:

8. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Does anyone know of a locking case like the Smart Feather that doesn't have the large openings at the top and the bottom?

I like the locking feature and I like the black rubberized finish on the back, but the large opening down by the dock connector and up top by the antenna really annoys me.

BJ

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

If it covered a bit more like you say and had a back magnet, that would be the perfect case.

10. boltjames, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Did a little research and I believe the Macally Smartmate is the answer:

http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=433

Locks in the smart cover, rubberized hard shell finish, only has antenna/dock edge openings where necessary, no gaping wounds.

But.....not available yet.

BJ

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That looks very promising - if it has a similar texture to the Feather, I'll definitely pick one up. Good catch!

12. IT Troll macrumors member

I think your images are for the iPad 2 version. The one for the new iPad which you link to has a weird "old school" un-powered amplifier. I can't see this achieving anything and so just puts me off a bit, which is a shame as otherwise it looks good.

13. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Yes, you're right.

I got tired of waiting for Macally to answer my emails and just bought the iPad 2 version in the hopes that it'll fit the The New iPad like so many others do. It was only $32.00 including shipping so if it doesn't fit I'll just throw it out and try to be patient.

BJ

14. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Have you considered donating it to charity if it doesn't fit right? ;)

15. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Charity? You mean like to a poor or homeless person or like someone who works at a dry cleaners?

I guess my manservant could arrange for that but assigning him menial tasks often annoys him.

BJ

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Maybe your trophy wife could drop it off somewhere on the way home from the gym to make her feel good about helping the "little people"! :)

17. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

I guess all of those who want the smart cover held permanently wont be using the camera much... :confused:

18. SYale macrumors member

Why would that be a problem...You know you can fold the smart cover in half onto itself...and just hold it with your left hand. Camera hole is still uncovered on the right side the iPad.

19. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because its hard enough to hold an iPad as a camera to also have to hold the cover so it wont block the camera....

20. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

OH it is not, we took several pictures today with ours and it has the Smart Case with the Locking Feather and this was simply not an issue. In fact I'd call it a NON-ISSUE!

21. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

This is currently available on Amazon for a little less than $20.

22. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Not so sure about that, when you look at their web site and then look on Amazon, the model numbers don't match up. Their web site specifically says for the iPad 3rd Gen, the one on Amazon say's iPad 2.

Maybe someone that ordered one of those can come back and confirm that it works or not. Remember the size of the iPad 3rd Gen is just slightly bigger, though clearly a lot of cases have worked between the two, though not all.

23. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

iPad 2, not the The New iPad.

BJ

24. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

[​IMG]

25. ZBoater thread starter macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I just picked up the Belkin Snap case from Best Buy, and it's officially my new case. It's semi-transparent so the logo shows, the fingerprints don't. It surrounds the volume/mute buttons, and it let's me take off the smart cover. Fit was perfect.