Incipio Smart Feather vs Zum SC Ultimate for new iPad!!!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DrSMC, Apr 8, 2012.

1. DrSMC macrumors newbie

Received my New iPad two weeks ago and keep waiting for the zum sc ultimate. Emailed Joey @ Zum and he said the original Sc ultimate does not fit the NEW IPAD and he told me the new SC Ultimate case would be available late March.

I have used the zum case for my ipad 2 for more than 8 months. The case is still like new, so I want to have the zum case to protect my new iPad again. I understand some people have complained about the crack… but I don’t have any problem. I believe 8 months is a good durability test.

Check back amazon last Monday, and the zum case for new ipad was still not there ☹ really don’t know how much longer do I have to wait, so I went to best buy to check. Great they have the incipio smart feather. It also has the smart cover lock feature.

Reason to get the smart feather is similar to why I am waiting for the zum case. It has a smart cover lock! The smart cover can easily detached from the ipad and may cause serious damage. The back cover with smart cover lock is the best solution to solve this problem.

The incipio smart feather is very thin and light, and I believe it has the same thickness as the zum case. The case in general is very nice. The construction is very similar to my old zum case. Has protective coating inside out.

I had the Belkin snap shield before I purchased the zum case for my ipad 2. It does not have any coating on the interior surface and it can be easily scratched!! Recently belkin products are not in good quality and they tried all the ways to cut cost. ☹ This is one good example! Also the snap shield is not as thin as the smart feather or zum case also!

Cons
    There is one thing I don’t like the smart feather: the case left a big section of the top and bottom part unprotected. In my opinion, these top and bottom sections can be easily scratched. Other than that, I think it is a good case.

Got email from Joey Monday, and he told me the zum cases were available. Too late… I got the smart feather already…. But I was impressed by their customer service…

My colleague will get his new ipad next week. He asked me what to get to protect the back… I told him to get the zum case, but he also like my incipio smart feather. I said I could order the zum case and let him choose.

The zum case arrived Friday morning. Lightning fast from amazon. It looks almost identical to the old one. All the necessary openings such as the volume control buttons, power buttons, USB ports are perfectly opened. Anyway, I don’t think any quality supplier would miss this nowadays ☺

The best thing I like the zum case over the other is the attention to detail. The case covers the entire back and there is a very detail speaker mesh to protect the speaker area. Protective coating was applied to the case inside-out!

I brought the zum case back to office and let my colleague to decide. He chose the zum case over my incipio smart feather…. Hmmm…!!

Long and short: Incipio smart feather vs Zum

Incipio Smart Feather - thin and slim but does NOT protect the entire back

ZUM sc ultimate – similar to incipio but offers better back protection by covering the entire back
    - complete back coverage

Thanks for reading my post and this is my first time to post a review :)

Attached Files:

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

stick to the need-to-know info:

"Long and short: Incipio smart feather vs Zum"

people are more likely to help :)

3. glen e macrumors 68030

I also have a Zum case from Joey coming. I am only interested in one thing, I don't care that the feather does not protect the top and bottom, I have a skin for that. I am interested if any reinforcement was made to the left snaps as they were the ones that everyone broke off if you removed your case often. I should know this week. If joey is reading maybe he can answer.

What incipio and zum both have to worry about is the i-blason case which has all the protection and is 30% less.....

4. DrSMC thread starter macrumors newbie

i-blason ... reading at their spec.. and I think it is 20% thicker than incipio or zum cases. 1.2mm vs 1.0 mm... also it left the speaker area unprotected!

5. glen e, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

splitting hairs, imo...6 bucks less...the speaker is set back in the case surrounded by case so it would take a direct hit to do damage....a non issue for me...but if oyu think it's a deal breaker have at the Zum, I don't....and maybe being a bit thicker will not cause the splitting the zum had....let's stop cheerleading and put em side by side---I'll do that later this week - in fact all three...and the Macally too!

6. WillWill macrumors newbie

If you are not very selective, agree.. I dont mind to have holes here and there... the really shows the difference in design ... Have the Macally case but really dont like the opening on the right handside.. whats the reason for that??

I have the original zum case for more than 7 months... really have no issue at all.. I am looking for the new ZUM case for my new ipad .. anyone know if it is available in France now? I emailed the previous distributor in France and they are still waiting for the shipment.:eek:

7. LoveSteve macrumors member

I have used the original zum case since last July... good stuff...

too bad, they only have the frost color now!!! :mad: I am looking for the pink color... dont want to wait... will get the incipio smart feather

8. GoTexans macrumors newbie

Thanks for your review and pointing out the differences... great job!!

----------

does $6 really means that much for you?? LOL.... if it can prevent a scratch on the speaker area , i believe zum deserves $6 more...

9. glen e macrumors 68030

Nah it doesn't...in 3 years I've yet to sratch with exposed speakers...I'm not as paranoid about my precious case as others here.....

10. KennySmith macrumors member

interesting...but looks like zum case is the better option ... let me try than I will post more comments

11. MsBeauty macrumors member

you are right... after I showing off the new zum case to my colleagues... two of them retire their incipio smart feather and ordered zum... way better protection!!

12. chaosbringer macrumors member

chaosbringer

Tried to buy from Amazon.com but the store that sells it does not ship to Portugal.. anyone knows where else i can try my luck?

13. GoTexans macrumors newbie

my 2 day old NEW IPAD : (

My 8 yr old was holding my new ipad by the smart cover only!! thanks God... the ipad fell on the carpet.... but the corner still suffered minor damage..

I have already order the the zum case at the same time when I got the ipad and waiting for them to arrive... should order next day from amazon!!! :mad:

Attached Files: