INcoming college freshman debating whether to wait or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ssingh257, Aug 12, 2008.

1. ssingh257 macrumors newbie

alrught so im about to be a first year college student and of course im going to get a mac, prolly the mbpro 15" but of course there are rumors of this new upgraded model coming out. this would be my first purchase of an apple computer, so would one suggest that i wait until september or wenever it comes out, a good month or so into the school year, or jsut go with the current model already out? im not quite sure how apple is with their timelines but i hear that it oculd be well more than a month for the new updated versions to come out. also, the back2school promo is of interest to me, i already have a 16gb touch but since ill be taking it to school i could get the promo one for my brother.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums, you'll find dozens of threads on this discussion, with lots of useful opinions. It's always recommended to search before starting a new repetitive thread. It's also recommended to make a post just once, rather than in multiple threads. You'll get a lot more out of the forums if you take time to read the Forum Rules.

3. Fenir macrumors regular

4. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Seriously? Another "I'm getting a mac for school and wanted to know..." thread? There are so many of these. So many. You wouldn't have to try to look, and you could still find them.

The update isn't going to be something insane for the MBP like its rumored for the Macbook. You'll probably be just fine buying right now if you do need it for school to start. Otherwise, hold off til things are announced, then buy.

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Seriously, and with due respect, you rilly knead to wurk on yer enlish skils if yor gunna start collige n have sucksess.

In the meantime, do a search and you'll find a dozen threads that will answer your question. Good luck with school!

6. silverMBP macrumors newbie

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As mentioned by RainForRent, it's entirely possible that the intended upgrade for the MBP will not be earth shattering. If you can live with not having the latest, fastest, coolest, spec on your machine, I'd suggest waiting for the upgrade and then buy the model which has just been superseded as you'll probably manage to get a great machine at a considerable discount. Either way, they are a fantastic machine; I'm a recent switcher and I'm very happy with my MBP. Good luck with college.

8. k.na macrumors member

k.na

Would the considerable discount end up being equal or greater than $199, do you think? (price of the Back2school iPod touch rebate which is the main incentive to buy now).

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm about to get my first Apple notebook, too. I'm waiting for the updates, though.

Just out of curiosity, what are your reasons for going with the MacBook Pro?

10. ssingh257 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Haha, yeah. There are plenty of bloated egos on these forums that tend to burn anyone who makes a simple mistake like not searching. You're new, so it's understandable. In the future, though, just be sure to search forums first. :)

12. rvrugg90 macrumors member

I ordered my MBP last week. Got it last thursday...If you get the back2school deal, just get a free printer/ipod touch, get your rebates back, then sell them both on ebay...It brought my final MBP cost down to 2030 after selling that stuff and getting my rebates. It makes it worth it! The computer is excellent, it has blown away my expectations. GET IT if you want it now or need it now.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, I rather think that they would. What tends to happen is that when Apple introduces an update/upgrade they slash the price of the existing models (sometimes, depending on the model by up to €400-500) and tend to charge the old standard price for the new models. (However, it is worth noting that in this instance, the iPod discount would probably not apply, and neither would the educational discount). Cheers.

14. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Why would the education discount not apply?

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Because they are already discounting the model once a newer/later model is issued, and are not likely to offer two discounts at the same time on the same model. You will be eligible for the education discount, or the soon-to-be-discontinued-model; not both. Cheers.

16. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Ah, got it. I just misunderstood. Thanks!

17. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Personally, I would wait to see what the macbook is and see if it closes in on the MBP any. But, I dont really need the iTouch so it's a bit different if you do.

18. iOrlando macrumors 68000

hahaa it gets like this on here at the end of july to early september with the college kiddies. ANd apple doesnt make it any easier throwing a free ipod touch. Even more people asking should i buy or not.

If only we were into dells...no one cares when they update their laptops..you just buy it or you dont . haha

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

buy the current mbp with the discount and take home an additional printer + ipod touch. there's no reason to wait since the uodate wont affect you that much unless you care alot of how it looks. With that being said, the update wont give you new "features" same old OS and probably Intel processors and nVivida graphics chips. There's no reason to wait especially in you're going to college, a new casing design isnt worth the ipod + printer.

20. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

that's because dell upgrades are usually along the lines of putting lipstick on feces :D

21. ssingh257 thread starter macrumors newbie

just to let you guys know, i manned up and purchased myself a black macbook after visiting the apple store with my dad and determining that it was better suited for me than the pro and since i only plan on using it for 2 years, the current version is up to date enough for me

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congratulations. I wouldn't have waited a month into the school year either. ;) Depending on your program, you might make it through all 4 years of school with the blackbook.