iPhone 5 or earlier Incomplete iCloud settings update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paieye, Apr 17, 2018.

1. paieye, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

paieye macrumors regular

1. I have just bought an unlocked 64 gb iPhone 5S to replace my (even older) 16 gb iPhone 5S. I backed up the old iPhone to iCloud. I then inserted my SIM-card into the new iPhone, updated the new iPhone's operating-system from iOS 9 to iOS 11.3, and launched Update iCloud Settings. Both of those activities took many hours, but I do not know whether that is relevant. My difficulty now is that (1) the new iPhone has got none of my iMessages or texts; (2) only a selection of my audiobooks has been transferred; (3) some of the audiobooks have been transferred only incompletely, so that in some cases at least half the book is missing; and (4) none of the audiobooks can be listened to without first downloading it to the new iPhone. Why should this happen, and is there any way around it ?

2. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

For the most part thats how iCloud works. If you wanted a full restore you need to have backed the old phone up to a computer

3. paieye, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, but what an odd situation. It is as if iCloud can 'decide' to which material it will or will not give access. However, assuming that you are right about this, is there any reason why I ought not: (1) to put my SIM-card back into the old iPhone, and back it up to this MacBook Air, presumably with iTunes; (2) to put the SIM-card back into the new iPhone, and sync it to this MacBook Air ? And ought I not then to repeat Update iCloud Settings, so as to see if iCloud will condescend to let me have the rest of my material ?

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

you don't even need to put the sim card in to back it up.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

you don't even need to put the sim card in to back it up, but yes, use iTunes

6. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent, thank you, that has restored my text-messages. However, I am still left with only some of my audiobooks, and in some instances only a part of the book. Do I need to Update iCloud Settings again ? When I did that yesterday, it took literally several hours, and the job was still incomplete. What do you advise ? (Incidentally, when I restored the new iPhone just now, a ghostly image appeared of the title-page to 1 of the missing audiobooks, but the audiobook has not in fact found its way into the new iPhone.)

7. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

This has suddenly gone very wrong. Now, when I launch iBooks on my new iPhone to select an audiobook, instead of getting a menu, I get a whole-screen image of the dust-cover of just 1 of the audiobooks, and no link or exit-button.

8. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I'm not an iBooks user but like many of the apple services they will slowly download bandwidth permitting. They should have been copied with the backup but i guess that is nonparty of the normal backup.

9. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

You should see each book that you have purchased. They will not download until you tap them though.

10. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

At long,long last -- in other words, after about 2 whole, very trying days -- the whole process of getting my old settings, applications, data, &c. to my new iPhone has been completed. With this reservation, though, that, as I explained before, some of my audiobooks have not been imported, and some have been imported only in part. Ought I to carry out another Update iCloud Settings on the new iPhone ?

11. kimcros macrumors newbie

why the icloud update and backup were created so long? Is this a standard?

12. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Possibly because of the space taken by my 30+ audiobooks, though that is only a guess. However, iBooks on my new iPhone, as well as being incomplete, is now utterly unstable. Ought I not to delete it, and then reinstall it ? And if so, how ?

13. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

First party iOS apps are never really “deleted” from the phone. The icons are removed and can be restored through the App Store but it doesn’t actually remove the program.

Have you considered calling Apple on this?

14. paieye thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the suggestion, but, assuming that you mean by "calling" telephoning Apple, I have had now 3 online-chats with Genius Bar, who have in reality been quite unable to help, so have not thought it worth telephoning them. What do you think ?

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Next time do a full encrypted backup in iTunes. Use this backup to restore you new phone and it will be done in minutes not hours and days. It will also be 100% complete with everything from your old phone.

16. paieye, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018

Thank you. What I did was full back-ups -- not encrypted, so far as I know -- to iTunes and to iCloud. Is your view that the iTunes one is somehow better than the iCloud one ? This is of importance to me, because my full audiobooks-collection is in iCloud, but not in iTunes. If I am going to get the full collection, I really must have recourse to iCloud.

17. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

iTunes is much faster than iCloud and with the encrypted option it is more complete.

18. paieye, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

All right, but about half of my collection of audiobooks are in iCloud, but not in iTunes. Can I simply (1) launch iTunes, (2) click File, Add to Library and (3) select all of my audiobooks in iCloud, relying on iTunes not to copy what it has already got ? Ought I perhaps to reinstall iOS ? All of this may seem elementary to knowledgeable users such as you, but the last few days have shaken my confidence, and I really do not want to get into an even worse tangle. Meanwhile, thank you for coming to my aid.