inconsistent/blotchy keyboard lighting after Juice spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryawee, Dec 21, 2009.

1. ryawee macrumors newbie

So I spilled orange juice on my 2.26ghz mid 2009 Macbook pro keyboard. :( I turned it off right away unplugged it and turned it upside down. I took the back off and cleaned and dried it all out. after letting it dry for a while I turned it on and everything seems to be working normally apart from a few sticky keys which I'm slowly taking off and cleaning and the facet that the keyboard lighting is no longer consistent. So my question is How does the keyboard lighting work exactly and how might I go about fixing it? here are some photos so you can see what exactly is going on.
    Thanks so much.

~Riley

Attached Files:

2. ryawee thread starter macrumors newbie

all I really want to know is how the keyboard lighting works. How many LEDs are there? how to they illuminate the keys? What would cause some of them to go dimmer?

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you have the answer in front of you. the spilt OJ caused your keyboard problem.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The LEDs shine through the translucent parts of the keys, which are shaped in the form of letters.

The only sure-fire way to get this "fixed" is to buy a new top case. There'd be some major disassembly involved in cleaning the LEDs individually, and you'd probably break a few in the process.

6. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

It looks like the light is still shining through, I think the lights are working normally. More likely you have dried orange juice blocking the light under the keys.

I don't know how you can remove the keys or if you will just need to replace the entire top casing. Any liquid damage obviously voids the warranty. Do you have homeowners or renters insurance?

7. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'd just be happy that the computer still works after having OJ spilled on it. Screw the key lights and consider yourself lucky. :D

8. ryawee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, with a knife you can pop them right off. they're fragile though so you have to be careful.

Thanks, I was hoping I would get a smart ass comment that in no way answered my question, that's exactly why I posted on here.
    Actually I know that this is a result of the orange juice. What I'm asking is more specifically why some keys are not as bright. (besides the broad reason of them having OJ spilt on them.)

Do you know if there is one LED for each key or does it have some sort of fiberoptic thing?

I have removed the keys and there is no OJ in the keys themselves but there may be some deeper in?

I'm very happy. and very thankful, and i feel super lucky. but I also thought it'd be worth posting on here and trying to figure out the problem. If I can't figure it out I'll still be happy with what I have.