Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Hi everyone, I own a 15" retina MacBook Pro, base model, and I am seeing inconsistent graphic performance when I am on Bootcamp. For example, last night I was playing Need for Speed: Most Wanted and everything was smooth, no choppy fps, however this morning I woke up and ran the game again, everything was so choppy and it seemed that the graphics in the game has deteriorated somehow.

Here are a few clarifications:
1. I have set the power options to Performance rather than battery-saving preferences
2. In both cases, my RMBP was connected to a power outlet
3. In both cases, I have verified that I have the same setting in-game.
4. My friend who owns another Asus laptop has the same graphic card (GT 650M), with 8GB RAM as well and the game ran perfectly fine on his with high settings, though I always run it on low (another question here, same hardware but why am I seeing lower performance here? Is it a Mac architecture kinda thing?)

Any ideas would be appreciated! :D

Last edited:

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Oh God... I think this next thread that I'm going to link to needs to be stuck to the top:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452267/

Short version: reset your SMC with the following instructions.

1) Turn off your rMBP.
2) While the rMBP is completely off, find and hold Control + Option + Shift on the left side of the keyboard, and then hold down the power button as well.
3) Release them all at the same time. It doesn't matter how long you hold them down, but you have to release them all at roughly the same time.
4) Now turn the computer on.

Repeat that every time the computer gets sluggish.

BlueRaider

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Oh God... I think this next thread that I'm going to link to needs to be stuck to the top:

1) Turn off your rMBP.
2) While the rMBP is completely off, find and hold Control + Option + Shift on the left side of the keyboard, and then hold down the power button as well.
3) Release them all at the same time. It doesn't matter how long you hold them down, but you have to release them all at roughly the same time.

If you follow these instructions it will fix your problem. I know this because I have experienced the EXACT same problem.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia

1) Turn off your rMBP.

Thanks, I didn't know that as I am relatively new to MBP gaming, so I didn't really have this problem beforehand. I'm gonna give this a try and update.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Thanks, I didn't know that as I am relatively new to MBP gaming, so I didn't really have this problem beforehand. I'm gonna give this a try and update.

Oh no, I'm just saying... there seems to be a lot more people who are affected by this bug than we're led to believe.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
might want to turn off throttling too, set your cpu max to 95%

if you run nvideainspector you'll see that if you haven't reset SMC lately your GPU will run at ~300 mghz, normally running at 900mghz. If you don't turn off off auto-throttle then you'll be jumping between 900 and 700 constantly...terrible performance.

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Oh no, I'm just saying... there seems to be a lot more people who are affected by this bug than we're led to believe.
Yup, seems like it, from the thread you posted earlier. Anyway I have tried the SMC reset and the game no longer lags! Thank you so much. :)

might want to turn off throttling too, set your cpu max to 95%

if you run nvideainspector you'll see that if you haven't reset SMC lately your GPU will run at ~300 mghz, normally running at 900mghz. If you don't turn off off auto-throttle then you'll be jumping between 900 and 700 constantly...terrible performance.
Thanks for the tip! I will keep that in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.