Inconsistent Mail To Do Storage Behavior - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by michaelrjohnson, Nov 29, 2007.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I've got a bit of an issue with my Mail/iCal setup. I'm hoping someone else here has run into this issue, and has come across a solution. Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to be able to create a To Do item from within Mail, from a message. To Do's created this way have a link back to that specific message. However, I want these To Do's to be stored locally and to be associated with my local iCal calendars.

I have Mail configured to keep the Notes and To Do's locally (Preferences > Composing > Create Notes & To Do's in: On My Mac). The problem arises when I create a To Do from a message with the above setting as is, it wants to store them in the email account's *new* iCal "calendar". It does not give me the option to store them on the local iCals. However, when I choose to make a To Do *not* using content from a mail message (aka, no back link) I can select my local calendars.

Does anyone have an idea as to how I can get around this?

(FYI, the email account is Gmail IMAP)

2. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Update:

If I create a To Do using text from the message, it will automatically put it in the mail account's calendar (no options for the local ones). However, if I then drag that To Do onto the "On My Mac" category in the To Do list, it will move the To Do to a newly specified local calendar *and* keep the link to the email.

This is an absurd process to have to go through for each To Do item.

3. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I hadn't planned on commandeering my own thread, but I found a tidbit of info on the Apple Support boards.

Link

Apparently, the only known solution is to discontinue using IMAP. For some reason, despite *telling* Mail to record Notes and To Do's "On My Mac", when you use an IMAP account, Mail forces those items to the IMAP server.