Inconsistent MBA Speeds?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by BuyMeAMac, Jun 14, 2013.

1. BuyMeAMac macrumors newbie

Hey,

Hoping to get a MBA for school, and as I was watching tech reviews I noticed people getting significantly different speeds.

Maybe you guys can figure this out:

First Video from MrThaiBox123 receives read/write speeds of
    ~ 450 write/ 720 read

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETaoXuO96-w

Second Video from TechSmartt gets read/write of
    ~ 700 write / 720 read

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhi-l9GnU4

Only difference I've noticed is that TechSmartt has a 512gb compared to MrThaiBox's 128gb.

What do you think?

----------

Speed test are done at around 50 seconds into the video in each example
    (for those who wanna get straight to it)

2. sk3tch macrumors regular

Larger SSDs are typically faster than smaller SSDs - even if they're the same make and model.

3. greenythebeast macrumors regular

The 128GB SSDs are Marvell/SanDisk drives, while the 256GB and 512GB are Samsung drives.

4. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

If I'm not mistake, the 11" are the one that come loaded with the SansDisk drives. I'll try to find the video which explains it.

5. greenythebeast macrumors regular

It doesn't matter the size of the MBA. All of the 128GB SSDs are Marvell/SD drives.

6. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

7. Philz macrumors member

8. curtoise macrumors 6502a

What is your battery life on the i7? can you share your temperature and fan start times?

Trying to decide if I go for i5 or i7

9. Philz macrumors member

Go i7 :)

Have yet to hear the fans kick in, battery life is about accurate still (it too is a 15W processor, unlike some cases when i7 is higher). Don't have solid numbers as I'm on Maverick now and... Well if there is less on MT. Lion due to the i7, you'll be happy regardless on Maverick :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I'm on Mavericks too and that alone improved my early 2011 MBP battery for another 2+ hours, pretty impressive for an early developer preview.
    I have the Service Battery legend and I was getting 2 hours but after installing Maverics I'm getting 4+ hours now.

What are your battery readings on your new Air on Mavericks? I'll install 10.9 As soon as I get mine.

11. Philz macrumors member

I can't tell. I honestly think they haven't updated the Mavericks battery meeter for the 2013 MBA's. As I literally turn it on it'll give me 5-6 as long as percentage is above 40%, then it'll over time get larger, and larger, and larger. Highest I've seen it go is 9.5 hours at ~75% so I really have no idea. I've only been able to drain this thing ONCE since I've owned it. I really don't have the patience to video loop test it. It's gotta be at least 13-14.

I think the best way to measure it is it's better than an iPad, and you don't have to worry about it for at least 3 days at my usage rates...