Inconsistent screen quality on the iPhone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samven582, Nov 18, 2015.

1. samven582, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015

samven582 macrumors 6502a

Hello my fellow Macrumors readers

I'm sorry that I have to start a thread on this subject, but its needs to be said. The iPhone 6s has the worst screen I have ever seen on any smartphone to date. To show what I am talking about, I have attached a photo. How can phone like this past QC just boggles my mine :confused:. For $749 plus tax, I expect quality.

Attached Files:

2. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Ouch!:eek: Yup I've had a few like that! Took me 8 iPhone 6's to get an acceptable screen! Mine even has a speck of dust in the upper left corner but at least it has barely any shadowing and no yellow spots! Good luck with the exchange lottery! Been there!:D

3. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Yep - lots of reported issues on this forum.

Personally, I've had 10 years of Apple products and all were perfect. Since my iPhone 6 Plus last year, the quality of the screens have taken a total dive.

Total luck this year if you get a screen with good uniformity and an even backlight.

4. Mandeep148 macrumors member

oh my GOD,
    SO SO MANY ISSUES about screen,
    check this forum of iphone,
    i got tired replying people,
    i told everyone my store,
    Iphone 6s is getting LOT OF ISSUES,
    i dont know this is count as spam or what, im not doing wrong..
    i replaced 5 handset iphone 6s, because of dust issue,
    5th is worser than ever, have crack sound in speaker, loose home button, getting dust under screen and up on screen/glass, every day i found new,
    yes i also have crack issue, everyone have..

THIS IS DESIGN FLAW MY BRO..

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Oof. That's ugly. Definitely an extreme case but I agree that the quality of the screens they chose to use this year is beyond sub-par.

I have consistency issues going left to right on mine but it's way less noticeable than what you have. Now when I compare this screen to that of my iPhone 4, the difference is depressing.

6. guteksk7 macrumors newbie

Mine actual 6s has bit better screen, but still far from uniform. I had already 3 exchanges and each one had the same problem so i think it's common(top of the screen is darker especially in left top corner). But paradoxically in my local resseler iphones 6s on exhibit are close to perfect.

how it look like on photo:
    [​IMG]

7. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm starting to believe Apple doesn't even have a QC process. So many bad screens; all 3 of my 6s's have had inconsistent tints.

8. Elisha, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

It's a general LCD issue since the backlight is such that you notice imperfections where the mounting points are and if a screw on one side is over tightened compared to the other side, adhesive issues and if anything is pushing it from the back.
    This is why they need to go AMOLED. At least then you only have to worry about white balance issue since the burn in issue is almost non existent on the latest generations.

9. nordique macrumors 6502a

Sorry to see OP

Most people I know have been fine with their iPhone 6 and 6s screens, and 6/6s plus screens.

Amongst my family, we have 3 iPhone 6's and 2 iPhone 6s's; no screen issues with any one of them. The screen on my own 6s is one of the best LCD's I've ever seen, same with the one on the 6.

Still, that doesn't change the fact your phone has a faulty display. This is why apple care is something to always get! Hopefully you're able to take it to Apple store and get it sorted out.

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I can guarantee at least one of the devices in your family exhibits the issue. I'd love to be wrong, but this problem is hugely widespread. Not everyone can see it though.

11. nordique macrumors 6502a

You can guarantee it?

All I can say is, love is in the air tonight.

12. viperGTS macrumors 65816

That was obviously an exaggeration... But I find it very unlikely that all of your devices are perfectly and uniformly backlit, with no uneven tinting from one side to the other.

13. jonstatt1, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

jonstatt1 macrumors regular

Sorry but that is just not true.

I have two AMOLED phones here

1) Candidate 1. Galaxy S5. Yellow tint to lower half of the screen compared to top. On very dark scenes in a darkened room, you see what looks like ink splodges on the screen
    2) Candidate 2. Galaxy Note 4. Very slight pink tint to the very top of the screen. Over the course of one year of typical usage, the colour temperature has changed from 6600k to 7600k! On very dark screens, near black, you can see an uneveneness where there is lighter band from top to bottom on the right side of the screen.

This shows the tint issue is still there with AMOLED, and that screen burn is a very real issue still. Many think of screen burn meaning a ghost image. The "real" screen burn issue is uneven ageing of the AMOLED colour sub pixels that changes the colour of white as the phone ages (red, green and blue all age and get dimmer at different rates). Unfortunately AMOLED is not as sophisticated as plasmas with ageing algorithms built-in. Even if they did so, this would mean accuracy at the expense of brightness as it ages.

So AMOLED is not this magic cure-all and it definitely doesn't do that well in bright sunlight either.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

I have dust in upper left corner, im wondering if i should rather wait a month or two for this issue to resolve or not?

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Good grief! You have to be very unlucky as we have 4 6S+ units and the screens look great.

Less drama will get the most respect.

16. samven582 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried to exchange the phone but they couldn't see the problem. I requested a refund