Incorporate iPod Hi-Fi w/ ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tequilamockbird, May 19, 2009.

1. tequilamockbird macrumors newbie

My set up is very simple: ATV hooked via HDMI to 42LG70. I have an iPod Hi-Fi that I no longer use so I connected it to the ATV via optical Toslink. However, since the ATV is hooked to the TV via HDMI, I get sound out of both TV and Hi-Fi. Anybody use a similar set-up and can help me enhance this? Or any suggestions for incorporating an iPod Hi-Fi?

2. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I run my atv to my lcd with hdmi and then run the optical audio out from my TV to my HiFi. I live in an apartment so I'm not concerned about a home theatre (well I am, but it's not worthwhile) and the hifi is actually an excellent speaker solution for me (and anyone else who has one kicking around.. I know some other people bought these things).

I have some other things hooked up to my TV as well and just keep the TV volume at 0 and use the hifi for everything. For a while I used the apple remote for the atv and hifi (they were paired) and had a piece of tape on the hifi remote so I didn't confuse them. Recently I've been forcing myself to use my iphone and the remote app to control the atv and then I only have one remote kicking around. Once I figure out how to get TV shows to show up properly on the remote app (ie in sequential order) then I think this will be an ideal situation. In the future I'd even consider looking at a refurb iPod Touch to use solely as a remote to control my entire iTuniverse and even use the Air Foil app so it could be a remote speaker.

Ideally you would just just use the hifi and not the TV volume at all though.

3. tequilamockbird thread starter macrumors newbie

So you have 1 optical out on your TV that sends all the audio to the hi-fi? I need to check my TV, b/c I have cable on HDMI1 and ATV on HDMI3.

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Yeah it's just an optical audio output, it's the square(ish) plug as opposed to the 1/8" jack on the hifi but most cables (I think) are the square(ish) plugs with 1/8" adapters on them.

All audio/video is input to various inputs on my TV and then all of the audio is output through the optical jack.