Incorrect aspect ratio upon import? FCP7, Canon 550d/T2i

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheSVD, Jun 7, 2010.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hello! :)

I've just got my 550d, and i made a little tester video and have just finished editing it in Final Cut Pro. However, when i first exported the project, there were black bars on the side of the video, which i thought was odd. The video had been 'squished inwards' because when compared side by side to teh orignal footage it was asif it had been squished into a smaller space, creating the black bars at the side of the video.

After wondering around in FCP, I simply went into aspect ratio under motion, and changed the aspect ratio to 0 (it was set to 6.67) and voila, correct 16:9 video again. EDIT: And now, when played fullscreen on my 16:9 monitor, there are small black bars on the top and bottom of the video? arggg whats going on :(

Why was it set like this? Can i change it? or will it be like this all the time? Its annoying having to change it for every clip! And i was shooting in 720p60 and 1080p24 if anyone is wondering.

Thankyou all! :D

2. mBox macrumors 68020

Try this. Import your clips into browser. then drag and drop a clip (assuming their all the same format from the same source) into the Canvas using Overwrite in the Edit Overlay.
    You will get a pop-up message asking if you want to change the sequence format to your clips format.
    Now check you browser to see what the settings are on that newly made sequence.
    Post info here.

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

You were editing your footage in a sequence with different settings than your source footage.Final Cut will conform your footage to the sequence settings unless you tell it to use the settings of your footage, like mBox suggested.

What is your final output for your video? Because you're going to have to decide whether or not you want to upres your 720 footage to 1080, or the other way around. Also, are you planning on using your 720 footage for slo-mo? If so, I'd recommend conforming your clips in cinema tools first.

4. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

oo crap guys, sorry, totally forgot to reply to this thread! Tried to post the other day but my internets been on the blink. Just turned out i didnt have the pixel aspect ratio set to sqaure, hahaha :eek:
    Thanks for the help anyway guys! :)

And yeah, i did conform the footage too :)