Incorrect Free Space

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by thatoneguy82, May 9, 2012.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

The past couple of days I have been downloading big avi and mkv files on my primary SSD drive. Afterwards, I convert them to mp4 files. I then add them to my iTunes library which then gets copied over to another separate hard drive on my MBP. After this, I delete both the files on my primary drive and empty the trash, however the free space indicator hardly moves. I just deleted over 10GB and it moves about 2-3GB. Sometimes when I do a mass delete of over 30GB of files, it does this same thing and the free space indicator hardly changes. And yes, I've emptied the trash. Sometimes, a restart would increase the free space indicator but nowhere near what it should be. The interesting thing is that when I use Omni Disk Sweeper, it shows that I'm using a smaller amount of disk space than the built in Disk Utility of OSX. For example, Omni Disk would say I'm using 115GB whereas Disk Utility would say I'm using 160GB.

What's going on?!

2. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Well, if anyone ever runs into this problem, I have fixed it. I don't know what the issue was but I fixed it. I had to login/boot into the recovery HD of Lion and access Disk Utility. From there, I tried repairing the disk. Repairing the disk itself said that it was okay. Repairing the partition (volume?) said that there was some error in the file structure and it was fixing it. Needless to say, my free space went from 50GB to 140GB. I couldn't access the "Repair Disk" function while logged in since I was using the disk, which is why I had to boot into the recovery mode.