Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I am on the phone with apple right now. They are telling me that this problem is on AOL's end. The customer support person I am talking to said that AOL hasn't resolved the issue so they are converting AOL accounts to Apple accounts for people. She put me on hold and is doing the process for me right now.

EDIT:
I just got off the phone and they successfully converted my AOL account to an Apple ID. They gave me a temp password and now I don't log into AOL. I use the newly created apple account with all my purchases and stuff with it.

Naturally, same problem here.

I'm going to give them a call to have the same done. I've had way too many problems with my AOL ID.

I guess it's true. Apple things do just work. Hm.

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
You don't need to give them a call to switch your account to Apple:

OK Here we go, how to fix the issue:

Login to your iTunes account on a computer 3 times with the wrong password. A pop up will come up with the option to create an Apple ID.

Click that button, create your Apple ID, and your purchases will transfer to the new Apple ID.

No More AOL. No More Problems.

WillYum

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
So everyone I went on ahead and called Apple today. They were able to successfully switch my account over with no problems. Just explain to them that your AOL screen name isn't letting you login and you would like to change your AOL screen name to an Apple ID. If your screen name is already taken as an Apple Id, they will make a new Apple Id of your choice or just make it your full AOL email address. The reason it will not work right now if you try your full email address is because it is not registered as an Apple ID. The phone number to call is 1-800-my-iphone and choose iTunes billing as the issue. I was on the phone for about 35 minutes with them, but that was because I called the wrong number to begin with and had to be transferred all over the place. In fact right after my screen name was changed to an Apple ID I lost service and was disconnected. Right when my temper was heating, I received a voicemail from Apple telling me that "it seemed we were disconnected, and my account was successfully transferred over to an Apple ID and I will not receive the password issue anymore." Awesome customer support from the representative Shawn! Shawn also told me to go on a head and login to the old Apple ID I created that did not merge and delete all of my bank account info and change my password to help avoid confusion in the future. He also told me that by simply creating an Apple ID account with the same email address or same username as your screen name will definitely not merge the two accounts and he doesn't know why anyone even suggested that. I believe the other solution to logging into your account three times with the wrong password on your computer will also work, however the security questions weren't accepting my answers, which turned out to be right when I asked on Shawn to verify them with me on the phone. Anyways I believe the best bet is to give the number above a call and speak with someone to ensure everything goes through alright. Best of luck everyone! Oh and all of my music and other media was transferred over and authorized to my new Apple ID. Man I am relieved and happy with :apple: !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.