Increase available memory on iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DougY, Mar 25, 2012.

1. DougY macrumors 6502

Just passing on some information that I picked up a few days ago at the local Apple Store Genius Bar.
    To free up available memory on the iPad by shutting down background apps still running. Double Tap on the Home Button, this will show icons that are running in the background. Hold down one of them until they all start vibrating, then tap on the (-) sign on each one to shut them down.
    I was unaware of this procedure, so thought I would share it here on the Forum. Hope it helps you all. :D

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

It mostly is.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This sounds like my dad. His iPhone froze and instead of holding down the power and home buttons, He went to the Apple store and they told him how to restart his phone. I told him he could've just called me.

5. DougY thread starter macrumors 6502

Im a very simple guy, just had my iPad for a few days.
    Went to the Genius Bar for an unrelated question I had about the new device, and noticed that he did this on my iPad to free up memory.
    Do any of you know where I can find more "tips" on getting the most out of the new iPad? Thanks. :cool:

6. yegon macrumors 68020

Think there's some free iPad guides on the iBooks store.

7. Scottyee macrumors regular

Is there any way to shut down "all apps" running in the background, all at once,
    instead of having to shut down each one of them individually, one at a time?

8. Saberon macrumors 6502a

No way to do them all at once, but with 1GB on the iPad 3rd Gen, why even bother closing them?

9. Magai macrumors newbie

How? his phone was frozen.

10. iDvisic macrumors member

Duh. Ever heard of Facetime???

:rolleyes:

Oh. Wait.

:D

-->iDv.

11. crapbag8 macrumors member

12. sekazi macrumors 6502

iOS automatically starts closing apps down when the active app is requesting more memory than available.

There is no need to close those apps. They are not using any any resources except for memory until iOS shuts them down for be inactive the longest when another app needs more memory.

13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

While it is true that 1GB leaves much more breathing room, rebooting will certainly close all apps at once. And leave them in the switcher for easy access when it comes back up.

Michael

14. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

This.

15. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I don't know why people still keep insisting there is no need to close apps when anyone who runs memory-intensive apps has seen how it just is not so.

Many times I have to manually close apps or reboot to even get a certain app to load, let alone run well.

While this situation should be much better with the 1GB RAM on the iPad 3, apps are also getting much larger too.

If I didn't manually close apps on my iPad 1 it's performance went into the toilet when trying to run an memory and CPU intensive app. The same app would then run flawlessly with all other apps closed. Obviously iOS was not doing an adequate job of managing memory in those situations.

Worse, I have had instances of iOS closing a background app that was actively doing something: navigating. If I didn't pay attention and make sure I regularly brought Navigon to the foreground iOS regularly closed it on long trips where it could be over an hour before the next spoken instruction. When I would look at the running processes (not the simple switcher: actual loaded apps) I would often find an app still loaded in memory from the previous day or earlier when Navigon had been terminated. I missed a few turns or exits due to this.

I still have to close apps on my iPhone 4S when it slows down on me.

Thankfully, have not noticed any signs of that on my iPad 3 yet.

Michael

16. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Yes you can download a ebook from the iBook store to find out some neat stuff.

I'm not surprised that you didn't know this as I have come across a lot of people with iPads that did not know this or about gestures.

Don't be discouraged by some people here that are giving you a hard time.
    They too had to learn this at one point or another.

17. bwrairen macrumors 6502

One major reason why all my iOS devices eventually get jailbroken.

----------

Too bad he doesn't have an iPad 3. It would've thawed that frozen iPhone in a second.

18. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I subscribe to Cnet on youtube. The Dude with all the iPhone and IOS info gives a lot of info esp. for newbs using these devices. This way you will be kept in the loop.

Closing the Apps has nothing to do with memory but battery. This closes the apps that might be running, thus giving more battery life. Not memory. I'm still waiting for that. :( I have 10 Apps on my iPad and its at 3GB vs 170 Apps on my iPod using 5GB. The math is not adding up.

19. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

"Closing the Apps has nothing to do with memory but battery?" If you got that nonsense from Cnet it reinforces my belief that that is the last place to turn for reliable information.

Michael

20. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Same here, I have always done this...

21. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

wow this blew my mind. Thanks. I always used to just turn off my ipad and turn it on again. This really changes everything. :D

22. randymac88 macrumors regular

Advanced maneuver (not for amateurs): place your four fingers on the screen, slide them up on the screen, and be amazed.

23. waynep macrumors 6502

Ummm . . You do know that memory and storage space are two different things right?

24. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

huh?? Sorry you can't read. Notice I have two separate sentences. Maybe I should have provided more info or started with a topic sentence. The first sentence was directed to the fact that CNET mention that feature of deleting Apps in the multitasking menu. The second was just from my years of knowledge. The OP said "memory" and not "free memory". I assumed that the OP was talking about "memory" which is ... well never mind :rolleyes:

25. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

e tu? :confused:

http://bit.ly/GODinV