Increase boot camp partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by javiersaldana, Sep 16, 2008.

1. javiersaldana macrumors newbie

Yesterday I realized that the 6 GB I gave to windows xp when I first installed it on my MBP just weren't enough.

I tried to resize my windows xp partition using disk utility (on leopard) and PartitionMagic on windows xp.

Since I don't want to go into too much detail here, I'll just say it didn't work. I spent a whole day getting everything back to what it was like yesterday.

So, right now I'm back to where I started, and I still want to resize my windows xp partition, but this time I want some advice instead of doing what I think that should be done.

"Macintosh HD"
    Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    Size: 180 GB

"Windows XP"
    Format: MS-DOS (FAT)
    Size: 6 GB

How would you proceed to resize windows xp partition to 32 GB, while maintaining an easy way to share files between OSs (I'm using "MacDrive" to do this)?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you have an external you could use winclone ( you would have to reformat to NTFS to use it, not sure if this is destructive as never done it, mine are always NTFS ), clone XP to the external resize the partition then reverse the process

3. hajime macrumors 68040

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

With all that you did, did you just use the Boot Camp Assistant to restore the drive to a single OSX partition and then set up a new larger partition with it as desired? That's why the ability to essentially "undo" the Windows partition exists in the Boot Camp Assistant and it does work, but of course requires you to reinstall Windows as afterwards it is like using it for the first time.

On the other hand, as Neil321 said Winclone makes it pretty simple and I did it that way once by just following the instruction on the WinClone website FAQ section. Mine originally was FAT32, but the method the FAQs show makes it pretty simple to change to NTFS and it works fine and does not mess with the stuff on your OSX partition.

5. javiersaldana thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give WinClone a try...

However, don't I need an external HD?

And if I change the format of my windows xp partition to NTFS will I still be able to 'share' files between OSs?