Increase boot time?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Curtis 92, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Curtis 92 macrumors member

Is there anything I could do to increase the Boot up time on my MacBook, It's pretty slow and i've just installed 4GB!

2. simsaladimbamba

You could use the SLEEP feature instead of booting, or you could get a faster HDD or SSD even. RAM has almost no influence on boot times.

3. brapmac740 macrumors member

brapmac740

How long does it take to boot and what's the model/year?

I have a late 2007 white macbook with 160gb HD, 4gb RAM it boots in less than 15 seconds from when I press power button, and turns off totally in about 3 seconds from when I slap the power button.

4. simsaladimbamba

In less than 15 seconds? Have you timed it? And what does take 15 seconds? The period between pressing the power button and the Login window or Desktop appearing?
    If that is the case, you have a very, very fast HDD, even my SSD won't boot that fast.

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

i was under the impression that more RAM would 100% increase boot time? i was told this by apple. My wife bought a new MB and it came with 2GB Ram, and started lots of editing on it. I installed 2+2 Gb for 4GB of RAM and it without a doubt increased my boo time. Its by means slow, but it did make the Boot time slower. I was told it would take a little more time in power on/off becuase it would need to clear the RAM on power off, and basically in lamens terms would have "to get more RAM ready" on start up. THis could be wrong, and not even close, but my boot time increased even more when i upgraded again to a total of 6GB of RAM. Later on, i would go on to fix this by upgrading my HD. Anywho, just a thought, and what i was told by a little birdie.