Increase concentration, memory, etc.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shamus, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Hello all,
    I have started taking Ginkgo Biloba tablets to improve memory and concentration, and also fish oil tablets for the all important omega-3.

I was wondering, does anyone else take or consume any particular thing to improve ones mental stamina?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have coffee at work, despite being fully aware that it's not doing my brain any favours.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I tihnk thats the opposite of what the OP was asking :D:D

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

which isnt stamina :D Check and mate.

6. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Indeed, coffee is good for the short term, but not great for a consistent concentration level. Much like energy drinks.

What I am more looking for is any different methods people may use to increase their mental awareness, or 'mental purity' or whatever you want to call it.

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

coffee and energy drinks screw me up badly! they make me feel like i'm outside my head :p

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know it's technically not consumable, but I've heard aerobic exercise helps concentration and memory.

Touché.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Chyawanprash

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

11. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Sounds interesting...where do you buy it from? Is it expensive?

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I got it at a local indian store, and it was only like 4$ (i think), really cheap.

13. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Good Sleep

Tetris and other puzzle games

Meditation

Good diet with lots of fresh food and liquids

Optional:

Massage Therapy - helps me relax which in turn help me focus.
    Omega 3-6-9 supplements - when diet was not good that week.
    SAD Lights in winter months - huge difference in focus.
    Pleasant smell in work area - I hate it when my co-workers make the room smell funny/weird , like bringing in lutefisk then forgeting it over the weekend. :eek:

14. Shamus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I will have to keep my eye out for that.

Yeah I definately need to work on improving my sleep routine, and get back into regular mediation. I used to meditate every day...and the results were incredible. I dont know why I stopped?

Also, what are SAD lights?

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

SAD = Seasonal affective disorder, also known as winter depression, is an affective, or mood, disorder. Most SAD sufferers experience normal mental health throughout most of the year, but experience depressive symptoms in the winter or summer. < From wikipedia.

SAD lights mimic full summer sunlight and make me forget that outside its really raining and dark. In the winter here it rains almost non-stop...
    its essentially light therapy with very bright but diffused light.

One of my colleagues has a LED ceiling- as in the entire ceiling is the light source - in his office/lab in his home, oh so nice and great to work in.
    it like being outside on a slightly overcast day - perfect light with no harsh shadows...

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Do be careful here. Compulsive playing of games like Tetris will just make you lose concentration as you spend the whole day plopping everyday items into imaginary lines on the floor.

Fresh air, water, and a genuine interest in whatever it is you are doing are easy ways to boost long-term concentration too.

17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Sleeping 8 hours a night
    Exercising
    Healthy diet
    Prayer
    Reading a book

18. saxman macrumors 6502

Listen to some classical music. Really listen though and not while you are doing other things. Try a first movement of a Mozart or early Beethoven Symphony. First listen to it for the enjoyment. Then listen for a primary theme. Listen throughout the entire piece for that idea (usually the first thing you hear, although sometimes there is a short introduction). Then listen for secondary themes. Do they seem the same or different? See if you can figure out what order the themes are and if they repeat. Are there any other themes?

Then try to listen for the tone quality of the instruments playing. Do the same instruments play the same themes every time? What about dynamics (loud and soft)? Can you identify each instrument (you don't have to, but it may help)?

This takes active listening. You cannot figure out what is going on unless it is the only thing you are concentrating on. You don't have to understand what is happening all the time, but in the classical era (in Western European music) the form is very clear and understandable most of the time. Live with the same movement for a long time until you know exactly what happens and when. Can you sing the themes? You don't have to have a great voice, but it often helps. Then try another first movement of a different Mozart or early Beethoven symphony. You'll be surprised how much your learned through the first one and how much faster you can identify things.

Music can be used for relaxation, but fully understanding many types of music requires considerable concentration. Just a thought from a music guy

19. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like playing Brain Age is a better investment of your time....

21. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's good for relaxing, but if you want to get your blood moving try Stravinsky's Rite of Spring or Penderecki's Polish Requiem.
    Mozart is nice in small doses, but listening to too much of his music at once is like eating cake frosting... Beethoven gives a little better sonic variety.

22. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Transcendental Meditation. Lowers heartrate and synchronizes brain waves, deep restful alertness. Much deeper rest than deep sleep.

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

My simple 5-step program:

1. Drink 2 beers
    2. Eat half a dozen chocolate cookies
    3. Drink 1 energy drink
    4. :work:
    5. Sleep during the rest of the following day.

Works for me!!1! :p

24. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Almost everyday I do the following:

1.) Play the Puzzle of the Day at wiipicross.com
    2.) Play the Sudoku of the day at websudoku.com
    3.) Complete the Crossword of the day at: USA Today

I also keep a hand grip excercise thing in my car, and use it during my commute to get the blood flowing and build-up strength in my fingers.

25. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sleep. I know if I'm sleep deprived my brain just feels like its in a cloud and nothing goes in.