Increase HD Space

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bturgan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. bturgan macrumors member

bturgan

Hi,

I have very little space left on my hard disk but I have plenty on my parent hard disk. How can I move space from my secondary hard disk to my original volume where my Maverick lies on. ?

Thanks,

Berke

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If by "secondary", you mean a second physical disk, there's no way to give the space from one drive to another. If you mean a second partition on one physical drive, then you can resize the partitions in Disk utility.

3. bturgan thread starter macrumors member

bturgan

thanks a lot for your answer but the resize button is not clickable at disk utility ?

4. Tech198 macrumors G4

If its not click-able, that would indicate its a system drive/boot drive.

Resize outside of OS X, boot from media or from Recovery Partition, and in OS X Utilities, select Disc Utility, and go to Partition. After you Apply changes it should be good, now restart back into normal.

5. bturgan thread starter macrumors member

bturgan

i don't know what i am doing wrong but 2 partitions seems not resizable. I restart the comp. with command+R but it is still like that. thanks tough

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Start Disk Utility and select your disk then take a screen shot and post it up here for use to take a look.

7. bturgan, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Click on the "500.11 GB WDC..." icon then the "Partition" tab, and show us a picture of that.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... just so I am clear, you have Mavericks on TIGER on top there and you want to get some open space from JAGUAR in the bottom up into TIGER... yes?

To get this done we will need to completely remove the JAGUAR partition and you will lose the data from JAGUAR when we do that. So do this step by step.

1. Copy data off JAGUAR to an external drive. Also, make a backup of TIGER just to be safe.

2. Open Disk Utility and go to the partition tab and select JAGUAR then click the minus at the lower left to remove that partition.

3. Now resize TIGER by dragging the bottom of it down (see this) then apply the change. This will not erase data on TIGER.

4. Click the plus at the lower left to add JAGUAR back to the bottom in the remaining space.

5. Copy data from your external back to JAGUAR.

10. bturgan, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

bturgan thread starter macrumors member

bturgan

here you go pls. the picture of ''500.11 GB WDC..."

i decreased the volume at Jaguar but still can't increase my main volume, even tough i start up my comp. with Command + R, do i need to erase Jaguar at first, to increase the volume of Tiger?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld9iaj30bmbwkkv/photo-2.JPG?m=

11. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

You'll not be able to increase the size of your TIGER partition without losing data on Jaguar; that is unless you back up to an external first.
    However, how small can you make that JAGUAR partition?
    Small enough so that what's unpartitioned is larger than your TIGER partition?
    If so, you could use that space to create a third partition, to which you could copy the contents of TIGER (CCC, SuperDuper etc). Then eliminate the data on the original TIGER partition, and use that space for Time machine, scratch or whatever.
    If you go this route, be sure to leave enough room on JAGUAR to meet your likely future needs there.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Follow what I said step by step and it will work. You need to remove JAGUAR completely by selecting it then clicking the minus at the lower left.

This will of course erase anything o JAGUAR, so make sure you have copied any data off of there.

13. bturgan thread starter macrumors member

bturgan

thank you weasel boy and partron22

this helped me a lot,

after erasing my second volume ''Jaguar'', I could increase my first volume ''Tiger'' and create my second volume again finally

thx again,

berke