Increase in SPAM postings lately

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by jbachandouris, Jul 19, 2014.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm not sure why its so easy to post SPAM lately. There are at least 4 posts on buying false passports on this site right now. If I report them all, it takes mods at least an hour to respond. Not cool.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Consider the outside possibility that the Mods might actually have lives to live and are not online all the time.

It's a volunteer position, the Moderation team is generous to give up what time they can to make MR as pleasant a place to post as possible.

Perhaps a bit of patience might be in order.

3. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 601

jbachandouris

There's almost 8 of these postings. Perhaps more volunteers are needed?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I agree, it seems to me that there has been an increase in spam lately. I've reported several spam postings in the last few days.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sure that you'll be incredibly relieved to know that all the spam threads are closed.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I often get home from work and find spam that's been sitting there for an hour or more. I clean it up as quickly as I can but you're right; there has definitely been an increase lately and I'm not sure why.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They are not just closed, but deleted entirely which is a great thing.

8. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

We're hit with spam at all times of day and night, everyday. We get rid of a whole lot more than the general membership ever sees. During the times when no one is online here, you see more of it. Just report it and it'll be dealt with when the next one of us comes along.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've seen spam increasing everywhere I go lately, so it's not just a MR thing. For one thing, the bots are making multiple posts I've noticed of late.

But as always, keep up the good work guys. :)

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't forget if you see spam from the same poster, you only need to report that poster once. All posts by the spammer will be deleted as one.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My personal experience is that is spam is reported, it tends to be acted upon pretty quickly.

Re the possible increase in spam, I think it is more of an online 'arms race' with each side (spam merchants and ordinary users plus mods) attempting to create forms, methods, and usages which outflank or outmanoeuvre the other.

If you see an increase in spam, (and somedays, I notice what I would regard as a veritable tsunami) simply report it. Personally, I always report it spam when I see it; after all, it is simply good online citizenship - active participation - and all that, plus, it helps to try to keep the forum spam free…..

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're putting too much thought into it. Spam is a part of life. Annoying? Yes. Not much you can do about it.

It's spam on a forum. Don't let it get to you. :)

14. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Why does it bother you so much that it took an hour for a few spam threads to get deleted?

15. Mplmilk macrumors newbie

There are ads that I guess Tapatalk has added. I thought I had the pay version, which is not suppose to have ads. Hmm...

16. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Has this page become more popular?

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Another site I joined had this problem, so they made it that the 1st few posts had to be approved by a mod/admin and the spam is caught before it's posted. Not sure how that would work here, but just an idea.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

With thousands of posts being made each day, we don't have a staff capable of moderating so many new posts. That would be a full time job for a crew of several people all day, every day.

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

But this would just be for brand new members. They sign up, make their 1st post (or do this for the 1st 5 posts they make) and it won't show up unless a mod/admin approves the post. I thought I just throw this idea out there, and not sure how many new members sing up a day also for this site.

20. moogoos macrumors newbie

Do you pay for this site or its information? I'd say take a break if such little things bug you so much and focus on real world problems.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

So far today, we've had 97 users register and make a post and it's only just half over (14 hours). That's already too much for our minimal staff to have to review each post and deal with post reports where we handle on average about 60 per day.

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

WOW ok, I didn't know it was that many a day.