Increase iPhone 4 clock speed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keivaun, Aug 8, 2010.

1. keivaun macrumors newbie

Now that the iPhone 4 has been jailbroken, would it be possible to increase the clock speed to the original 1GHz like in the iPad? Apple has a history of underclocking their mobile devices to save battery life (the iPhone 4 is thought to be underclocked to about 800MHz), but I personally would rather have a faster device.

I have searched the forums on Mac Rumors and googled this question, but I have yet to find something that works. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is currently no way to overclock or remove Apple's limitations on any iDevice.

3. keivaun thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the quick response, but why is it that numerous different websites claim that they have ways to increase the clock speed on iPhones and iPod touches?

Also, didn't apple increase the clock speed on the original iPhone from 400Mhz to 412Mhz through a firmware update?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, Apple did do that and they can change the clock speed with any update. The website say that because there was once a fake way to change it. All it did was make the CPU run at full instead of sleeping to save batty.

5. keivaun thread starter macrumors newbie

If apple can change the clock speed, once you have gained root access to your phone, shouldn't you be able to do the same. Sorry, I don't know a whole lot about this topic.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No, they locked that part out from with in the kernel. Planetbeing has been able to unlock it, but he has no want to tell how. Other then him no one else has been able to change it.

7. keivaun thread starter macrumors newbie

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Yeah sure. You can keep clocking a 400mhz chip to 8Ghz sure.

You can't OC it.

9. keivaun thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not talking about overclocking the phone. I was just wondering if the phone could be "un-underclocked" per say, and bring the clock speed back to the original of the chip.

10. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Sure. If you want to completely rewrite iOS.

11. keivaun thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay...my question has already been answered, I don't need you to tell me the same answer again.