Increase MAC OS Resolution

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CaptainCannabis, Oct 29, 2007.

1. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a Powerbook 17" 1.67Ghz 1024MB running Leopard. I'm sick of the 1440x900 display. Is there any way to hack this to have a higher screen display. I know that they say this is the maximum the pixels will allow me to have, but I'm sure there is a way to hack it, or at least to make it seem like it has a higher screen resolution.

Thanks!

2. ecbtln818 macrumors newbie

that doesn't exactly make an sense because that has to do with your graphics card, not some software.

However, even if there were a way to make you get more screen space and supposedly "increase" your resolution, it would make all text on your screen virtually unreadable because of the fact that the dpi wouldn't be exactly what it says it is.

3. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

What is the difference with pc laptops then? :confused: Because on them you can set very high resolutions...

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

This has nothing to do with your graphics card. It has to do with the native resolution of the LCD panel and how many pixels it is capable of displaying. It is not possible for the LCD that comes with the panel to display any more pixels than 1440x900. Sorry, you are out of luck.

5. nintendew macrumors newbie

But of course it's possible to have the OS think the resolution is higher. Then it can downscale the image to fit the screen. Just petition Apple to include this feature.

6. projectle macrumors 6502

He is not looking to trick the OS into thinking that it is really a higher resolution.

He is wanting to trick to OS into using a DPI lower than 72 on his screen.

So, items will appear smaller, in turn giving an artificial increase in screen real-estate at the expense of definition.

7. antibact1 macrumors 6502

No this isn't possible. The LCD panel just doesn't have a greater number of pixels to display. Have you ever tried to set a CRT monitor to have a resolution greater than it's maximum? It doesn't work. You can't go higher than the maximum resolution of the display.

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Mac laptops also have a high definition version in the mac book pros...just like PCs.

9. nintendew macrumors newbie

Well, it is still possible to allow a "larger resolution" on a screen intended for a different resolution. I wouldn't advocate it as the display would become distorted. Just look at how thing looks when you activate Spaces.