Increase MAXIMUM volume in OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pigumon, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I've been watching youtube, Hulu, veoh, cbs, and other internet tv channels through a macbook hooked up to an hdtv.

Why is the sound so low?

When I watch a video on a hard drive I always use VLC because you can crank the volume to 350%!!!!!! It REALLY helps. Usually 250% is "normal" sounding on the tv.

Is there a way to get this done at a system level when hooked up to the headphone jack?

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Well I have to first ask you the obvious, which is if you've turned up your system volume via either the keyboard sound up volume or through the system preferences (both control the same thing.)

If you've already done that then you can use audio hijack pro.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

How come OSX seems to be volume limited? I'm 100% certain that when I boot into XP, there is maybe a 30-40% gain in maximum volume coming from the internal speakers? Therefore, it's a software volume-cap, why would Apple do this?

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I'm trying to help you dude. Stay on topic. Did you try raising the volume using the "volume up" button on your keyboard?

5. Pigumon thread starter macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Wow I didn't see your reply, thanks. and that other guy is not me who you're trying to help...

But yeah I've turned the volume up everywhere, and my macbook requires me to crank up my TV volume just to get a good level.

I actually have Audio Hijack Pro, what are the correct settings? I don't see an Amplify effect, Gain? Set the EQ all the way up?

**Update** Hmm ok i guess i was in "mega mix" mode which was killing all effects. I did the single audio stream and turned the gain up and it worked! Is that what you would do?

6. MisterKite macrumors newbie

Try this program

I found this new program called BOOM iit will boost Mac system volume and it will also boost volume in video or audio files very quickly (90 minute avi fixed in less than 2-3 minutes) here's a link: http://www.macupdate.com/download/36700/boom.dmg

it's pretty awesome to say the least, sure beats an hour or two in video editing program or demux or whatever!