Increase SSD - external or buy 512 instead of 256?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sicutz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Sicutz macrumors member

Hey guys,

I planning to buy a new iMac w/ i5/780M/8gb and SSD.

I just want to know if I can save some bucks if I buy a second SSD external with 250GB (for example Samsung EVO) or if it is better to buy 512GB from Apple.

Are there huge speed differences? And can I use a SSD on a thunderbolt port to increase the speed?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I'm not sure how noticeable it will be under use, but the internal SSD on the 2013 iMac is much faster than an external SSD.

In your case I would opt for a 512GB SSD in the iMac. You won't save that much by going with an external SSD. You'll also save on desk clutter. And you won't have to remember what is on the external drive versus the internal drive.

As a side note, both USB 3 and Thunderbolt are faster than any SSD so it doesn't matter which enclosure you put an external drive in.

3. Sicutz thread starter macrumors member

I can buy 2 250GB Samsung SSD Evo for 300€ (140€ for one 250gb on amazon, german store)

So how fast is the iMac ssd? 10% faster? 50% faster?

And is the speed difference from 256gb ssd and 512gb ssd in the iMac noticable?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Don't forget to add the cost of the case for the external drive. There will be some speed improvement going from 256GB to 512GB SSD in the iMac. As for how fast the iMac SSD is compared to an external SSD? It's somewhere over 50% faster.