Increase the size of my hard-drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bulldog VII, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

I have a 500gig Imac & wondered is it easy to increase the size of my hard-drive?

I've just got appleTV & am adding all my DVD's which when reduced down are about 1gig each

Thanks

2. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

You can either replace the internal hard drive, but that's quite difficult. Or you could simply buy an external hard drive. You can get 2tb for under £100 now.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1. I'd recommend getting an external, as well. Here is a link to one of the externals that I have. I even looked it up on UK Amazon for you ;)

If you're really wanting internal, I have a couple of These in a NAS and they work really well. I wouldn't recommend changing it yourself; you should be able to find a local authorized repair shop that will do it for a nominal fee.

And if you can afford both, you can get a bigger internal drive and an external USB drive. This will let you use Time Machine to have a backup in case one of the drives fails.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have to agree - while an iMac internal hard disk can be replaced, it isn't easy, and it looks easy to break something.

Go with an external disk. As long as your iTunes library can read it, so can your Apple TV.

5. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Thanks,

I do have a 1TG hard drive that I can partition. Is is easy to link to itunes though so it can read the movies??

I'm not that good with computers!!

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes.

In iTunes, you can change the location of your iTunes library to any volume accessible by your computer. Change the path to the volume on your external drive and then import your music, and you'll be all set.

7. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

thanks for the info is it hard to do to change the location of itunes??