Increase video definition on mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Mohammed1, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Mohammed1 macrumors newbie

Hi I was wondering if there was a way I could make a video and then get an application to make better definition by making the lines finer etc?

2. simsaladimbamba

You mean you record an SD video on some kind of camera, which probably compresses the hell out of the picture, then transfer the video to your computer, open the magic application, open the video, press some button(s) and you get HD video out of it?

That exists, many software can resize, but it cannot create information that is not there to begin with.
    In other words, while you get a video files with a technical HD resolution, it will not look like HD, as the source was not HD.

Or do you mean something else?

3. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

4. Mohammed1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i was hoping to find a "magic app" and i already know the whole thing about resolution and resizing but iMacs are supposed to be for editing movies so i was expecting something more thanks anyway.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Depending on why it is low quality to begin with you might be able to make it look better by deinterlacing. Give this a look. It shows how to deinterlace with the free app Handbrake.

6. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

There's a big difference between editing video and attempting to upconvert it from SD to HD. That SD video only has 480 lines of resolution, and splitting them into finer lines isn't an option. If you were to upconvert, some of the lines would be doubled (or tripled if you went all the way up to 1080) to fill the space. There simply isn't enough data in SD video to split lines into smaller lines.

7. Mohammed1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I decided to ditch the SD and I bought a HD Extremecap U3 now but thanks for all the replies!