Increase volume and distortion

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mackan, May 20, 2012.

1. Mackan macrumors 65816

I am trying to understand the situation of low volume tracks in movies. Basically, I am remixing some 6 channel surround CAF files into 2 channel Dolby Pro Logic II with the help of Sox. I also normalize the track with Sox. I also have a look at them in Audacity to make sure they look normal.

So I end up with a normalized stereo track. Now the problem is that too often the volume is too low, I feel I have to turn up the volume slider to max in QuickTime X, and also adjust the volume level in OS X further.

Is this ok, or will the audio distort if I increase the volume too much?

Let me clarify. I don't want to increase the volume on the track/waveform itself by using gain function, and I don't want to use a compressor on it. I want to leave it unaffected as it is to preserve the dynamics from the original source. I only want to increase the volume via sliders in the player I am playing the movie with. Will this ever cause distortion?

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Typically amps do distort when approaching around 80% volume, but you should let your ears be the judge of that. What are you mixing with: headphones? active monitors?