Increased file size and still only 16GB??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by superdudeo, Mar 8, 2012.

1. superdudeo macrumors regular

Ridiculous that 32GB is not the minimum with how cheap storage is now. I mean 16GB is barely enough now for the standard iPad, let alone the increase in file sizes retina will introduce.

2. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

So buy a 32GB or perhaps a 64GB. #firstworldproblems

3. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Had they discontinued the 16GB, there'd be someone on here complaining that they don't need anything bigger than 16GB.

4. Nightprowler macrumors regular

People will complain about anything, but what it boils down to is the more options the better. Why not 16, 32, 64, & 128?

In 2012 with the amount of High Def multimedia available 64GB isn't enough.

Consider a week long vacation to an area without wifi/4g. iClound won't cut it without being online and iPad has no option for expansion cards. You want to bring books, TV, movies, and want to be transferring your DSLR pics to it along the way? You'd have to manage your space carefully even with 64gb.

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

16gb has been just fine for my iPad 2, but of course I wouldn't be "complaining" if they had made the 32gb model the lowest and put it at $499.

Part of what I'm waiting for in any reviews and feedback though is to see if apps and other stuff (not just videos) really do take up very much more space. If it seems that I could get away with just 16gb again for this next model, I'll probably just go with that.

6. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

There is the camera kit which allows you to plug in an USB stick or SD card for photos and such

The best will be when the jailbreak is out and ifile is available

Either way, a lot of people do not travel with their iPad's, its more a stay at home "magazine" replacement for some people, where streaming is available all day everyday

7. SgtBullmoose macrumors member

One would hope if you're going on a vacatin to a place without wifi or 4g that you wouldn't spend your whole time on the ipad...

8. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

if they offered 32/64/128 more people would choose the cheapest option as 32gb is prob enough for most. Having 16/32/64 however will make some people upgrade a level in the pricing, thus netting Apple more profit.

There is less profit margin in the base model than the higher models so that is prob why it is done in this way. Also the higher capacity will be the iPad 4th generations big thing. Along with higher res front camera to further promote Facetime and other social apps.

9. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Wouldn't be tooo sure, we know appple, a redesign and quad core cpu would be enough to sell like hot cakes, i doubt we'll see 128gb options anytime soon unless they upgrade all the harddrives for the macbook air (would require SSD prices to drop)

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Just because you CAN watch 1080p video doesn't mean you HAVE to put HD video on you iPad. My iPad can take 720p video yet I aways just put SD on cause it's a 9.7 inch screen.

11. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Way to twist what I said. :two thumbs up:

There is travel time on either end and night times too. Perhaps you are one of those people that falls asleep as soon as you stop moving? I am not.

And to close another loophole since you seem to be the type to look, there are portable solar powered chargers if you are off grid.

12. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

You are not 'supposed' to buy the 16GB model. It's only there (from a marketing perspective) to push you towards a 32GB model. The 64GB model is a luxury item in which they really sock away the profit...

Again, their target is the 32GB machine. Also, since there isn't a price hike for the massively increased guts/display consider yourself lucky...

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

The 16GB model is like economy class on a plane. Highly uncomfortable, it gets you to your destination, but not much else. To me, the 16GB iPad is the iPad where you can sample the iPad experience but not much more.

The 32GB model is business class, high margins, lots of sales, the most profitable iPad of them all. It gets you everything you need in an iPad.

The 64GB model is first class, for those geeks like me who want pure luxury, who simply want the highest level of storage possible. Yeah, there is even more margin here but much fewer sales.

14. nkawal macrumors regular

16GB is fine for all the kids out there. They will definately move up to 128Gb in the next revision. There is so many parent buying an ipad for their kids because its the wow factor.

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I just read that they appealed that law in federal court requiring you to buy a 16gb so your free to get the 32 or 64gb.

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I can't even put into words how little sense this made..

17. miraclehobo macrumors member

What a load of pure rubbish.

18. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'll say again that I, and plenty of anyone else who has chosen 16gb, are doing just fine.

I don't play games all that much, particularly not large graphics-intensive games. I use iTunes Match and don't have any need to store lots of albums on the iPad. I stream most videos through Hulu, Netflix, HBOGo and similar, but I still have room to store about four or five movies at a time if I want, but I never actually need to.

Right now I have just over 3gigs free, and I don't feel confined about it because the only time I've needed to economize and clear stuff out for space is during the rare time I have a few ~1gb sized games being stored on the device at once.

As far as the iPad 2 is concerned, if I had 32gb I would mostly be going out of my way to fill more than half the space. I'm hoping that will be much the same situation for the next iPad.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

THIS. What good are all those pixels if I can only load a few movies in HD? With that retina display we needed a retina SSD drive with 2TB of speedy goodness.... :rolleyes:

20. Zcott macrumors 68020

QFT. This is why the 16gb sells. My mother, who wants an iPad, doesn't need anything more than 16gb.

21. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Apple ridiculous. The new iPad has more pixels than I need. They should have cheaper options!

This reminds me of Chris Rocks character. "$5 for ribs!!! Good Lord! How bout I give you a Dilla and you let me lick the BBQ sauce off your fingers?"

22. superdudeo thread starter macrumors regular

The point is that the difference in cost for Apple to make 32GB the minimum is so minimal that it just feels like they really are trying to squeeze every last drop out of us.

23. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

The new retina display couldn't have come cheap...I have the 16gb model and never went over 5gb. I store pictures and music on it. Why store movies? I'm not going to watch them on it and I don't travel anywhere. I have a computer with plenty of storage. Most people with an iPad have a laptop or desktop with plenty of storage space. If you travel a lot then yea, more space is better. Same goes for wifi only argument. I use my iPad for class, eBay selling, and reading forums at home. Nothing beats laying on the floor with an iPad in hand over my gang laptop that weighs a ton.

Matt

24. DigitalJunior macrumors member

DigitalJunior

I don't think that Apple are screwing anyone over the 16Gb - you still have the choice to buy it or not.

If there wasn't a 16Gb option I'm sure there would have been much more said.

Rules of business - they don't have to provide you what YOU want and YOU aren't forced to buy it.

25. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Surely the next gen we will have to make 32GB the minimum storage capacity! With Apple sitting on 500 odd Billion dollars and claiming they don't know what to do with it, maybe they should subsidize the increased storage chips!

16GB with the current huge games etc just doesn't cut it when travelling! In fact I'm always having to delete crap off my young nephews to fit newer stuff on and he has a 32GB!