Increased Mod Oversight?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Shrink, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I've noticed a couple of changes recently in Mod oversight of threads:

1) Inappropriate, senseless, and just plain dopey threads are being closed much sooner.

2) Inappropriate off-topic posts cannot be quoted for response.

Personally, I think this is a welcome increase in supervision of the forum. When there are umpteen threads on the crucial topic of "white vs black phones - will people think a guy is a sissy if he uses a white phone", closing the umpteenth and first thread is wholly appropriate. Closing threads that are quickly revealed to be trolling is also appreciated.

I'm sure that some will be upset that their "freedom to express their opinion" is being restricted. While I am a rabid defender of Constitutionally guaranteed free speech, this is a private site with rules and restrictions. If one feels that there is too much control, then this is not the site for them.

Although I have very limited experience on other forums, it is my understanding that many are more unsupervised, leading to more trolling and vicious personal attacks. Having been the personal recipient of the death of a thousand cuts when I opened dopey threads, I am happy to accept the well deserved sarcasm. However, I would not be as comfortable enjoying this forum if the attacks were permitted to be more viciously personal. I, myself, have received a warning letter for referring to someone as a pisher, a mild Yiddish insult, but name-calling nonetheless. It was perfectly appropriate - no matter how mild the personal insult, it is a personal insult.

I hadn't intended this post to turn into "War and Peace" (with apologies to Tolstoy), just thought I'd put out some feelings about (apparently ) increased Mod oversight for comment.

Have at it...:D

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Agree. But what about those who come here just to call Apple customers names and to advertise some other device?

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This. I think when people call someone "fanboys" it should be instant time out.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    When I am reading a thread and run across a post which seems inappropriate to me for whatever reason (spamming, abusive language, etc.) I immediately hit the "report post" button (red triangle with exclamation point at its center below each poster's identifying information) and let the moderating/administrative team know about this; what they do with it after that is out of my hands but at least they have been made aware of a given situation.