Increased pressure required for unibody trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macaco74, Apr 25, 2010.

1. macaco74 macrumors regular

I got my new 15" unibody MBP friday - while I love the machine, I do not love the increase pressure. I find myself pushing much harder even after the audible click to get the press to register.

I called applecare and he indicated this was normal. This is my first unibody MBP, I had a 2007 (october) MBP that had the separate click bar - never required more pressure than it took to get the click.

Is this normal?

2. shadygrove macrumors regular

Not sure if this is normal, but you want to turn on the "tap click" function. I like it a lot better than than pressing down the whole time.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you click on the bottom of the trackpad, it should be easier to click, but overall I do think it does require more pressure and one physical button.

4. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

If when you press down it doesn't register, then there is something wrong with your trackpad. Before I just bought my new 15" MacBook Pro, I had the late 2008 MacBook and the trackpad did what you're describing. I had to get the trackpad replaced. Hope this helps!

5. macaco74 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response - I will likely bring it in to the apple store if it continues for another week or so.

6. macaco74 thread starter macrumors regular

made my way to an apple store last to test the machines and see if the pressure was similar to mine. It was clear that I have a defective trackpad.

On the store machines, a soon as I heard a click, bam, the machine registered it, and it did not take much to push down.

I made an appointment to have mine looked at today.