Increased price rumour

Discussion in 'iMac' started by theSeb, Oct 17, 2012.

1. theSeb, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The rumours are suggesting that the new iMac will be more expensive than the current model. Could it be because of:

1. Screen
    2. SSD standard
    3. Expensive mobile GPU like the 680m
    4. All of the above

I personally hope to see an SSD and a decent mobile GPU. Considering that the MBP is sporting a mobile nvidia GPU and the amount of work nvidia has done to make drivers for ML, it's a safe bet that the iMac will get something from nvidia. But which one? The 680m would make me very happy, but it is very expensive.

2. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

i would not be happy about the Imac being more expensive and somehow its not what Apple normally does. They tend to keep the prices and I would hope they do the same this time around.

3. Dillus macrumors member

The iPhone 5 is more expensive than the 4S was at release, or am I wrong? From an economical point of view it would make sense to raise the prices. Obviously people don't seem to care how expensive Apple products are. They always find reasons to justify the purchase.

4. leerichards1 macrumors regular

As far as I recall, in the UK the price of the 32 and 64GB variants of the iPhone 5 are the same as the 4S at £599 and £699. Only the 16GB version saw a slight price increase from £499 to £529.

I too am hoping the new iMac's aren't markedly more expensive than the current range.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

In US$, iPhone prices haven't changed since the iPhone 3G.

6. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

As I stated in other threads, I'm quite terrified of this alleged price hike for iMacs. I'd love SSD standards, but with Apple charging €500+ for a 256 GB on current iMacs (and €300 for 16 GB RAM, which is even worse if it's soldered)... argh... :eek:

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think it's extremely likely that more and more Macs will get standard SSDs going forward. Even some features in Mountain Lion (Power Nap) are limited to devices with these built-in SSDs.

My guess is that we'll see iMacs with a standard 256GB SSD and an optional magnetic drive (maybe 2.5"?).

They probably won't do this but theoretically they could even put the SSD in the same location as the RAM slots to make it user/technician serviceable.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

680M for the 27" and 640M, 650M or 660M for the 21.5". Probably the 640M and 650M.

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I'm gonna pay whatever it costs with a maxed out BTO. I hope I can get 1tb of ssd internally. Only thing ill probably avoid is apples ram if the new machine allow us to exchange ram ourselves. The apple ram taxes are crazy... The fact that I can buy it with 8gb then toss that out and get my own 32gb of ram and still save hundreds of dollars just proves how bloated those prices are.