Increased verizon lte speeds in Washington DC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phositadc, Dec 9, 2013.

1. phositadc macrumors 6502

Anybody seen increased speeds in downtown DC since verizon supposedly flipped the switch on the new lte spectrum accessible by the 5s last week?

For the past months speeds in downtown DC during regular business hours have been horrible (less than 1mbps) and I'm wondering if anybody has noticed an improvement? Thanks for any responses!

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Probably flipped the switch on their AWS spectrum.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

That and they are doing a 2 x 20 MHz pipeline too now. Speeds here jumped from 25-35 Mbps to 65-70. It was a quiet update, but you can read articles online if you google it dating as far back as October when they started doing it.

4. FederalSystems macrumors newbie

I also read that they increased the speed but I am not seeing any improvements. I am getting the same speed which you notes ~1MB

5. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I assume you've run a speedtest in the last day or so since they supposedly flipped the switch?

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Note that only the 5S and 5C are compatible with the AWS spectrum verizon is using. So if you have a 5 then you won't see it.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If you haven't spotted AWS in DC yet, it is coming. VZW has made it clear that all the top markets will have it ASAP.

They sure as hell need it in DC. I'm in NoVA often and VZW LTE is sub 2mbps speeds in Tysons Corner, when my AT&T devices are purring along at much faster speeds.

8. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

I am on the verge of canceling my vzw account because of the horrid speeds in DC but if they really are on the brink of fixing them then I will keep it. But I no longer own a phone capable of testing vzw's new lte bands so I have to rely on you good folk.

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If you don't have a phone capable of AWS, then I'm afraid you won't really any increased speeds whatsoever. You either have to get a Band 4 compatible device on VZW or move along to AT&T, who works great in DC

10. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. The plan would be to get a vzw iPhone 5s if the speeds were actually improved. But if a 5s would only get the same measley 1 Mbps that I get now, then I'll pass.

11. gbuc95 macrumors member

I know it's not Washington, D.C. But I got these speeds in Atlanta.

Attached Files:

12. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hah that's literally about 100x what we get in DC!

13. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought I'd check once more to see if any DC iPhone 5s users have noticed increased lte speeds?