Increasing Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chrisism, Jul 27, 2009.

1. chrisism macrumors newbie

Hi all,

As I'm often using my home studio to work from which invloves a lot of music production and video editing I find I'm constantly running out of hard drive space (and it's not because of a build up of crap). I've recently wiped my mac and only reinstalled the software I need and I'm only left with 30gb from the 150gb capacity I'm supposed to have. Unfortunately this does include 84gb of music which I'm not prepared to move to an external hard drive.

I want to know how easy is it, and at how much cost will it involve, to buy and install more internal hard drive space for my MacBook Pro?

(I have two external hard drives that I often work from which are 1tb and 1/2tb)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can get a good 500GB drive for ~$100. Check Newegg.com

3. chrisism thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it better to buy and fit myself or get a shop to do it?

I just got a quote for 500gb at £225. Seems rather steep to me.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What model MBP do you have?

The older ones are notoriously hard to upgrade the HDD. The new UMBP are easy.

Take a trip to youtube and search for a video. Thats what I did and made it very simple.

5. chrisism thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 15" mac book pro that came before the new aluminium model.

Has anyone tried these guys or know if they are any good. Their rates seem fairly reasonable.

http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/machine.php?name=macbook-pro

(by the way I'm in England so any recommendations to other companies abroad wont be of any use.)

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

as for installation, its not really that complicated, just need to take your time with it. ifixit.com has good visual guides