increasing Iris pro Vram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by topman1993, Dec 23, 2013.

1. topman1993 macrumors newbie

hi, just a thought, I got a 15" Retina macbook pro late 2013

2ghz Core i7
    16GB Ram

I was just wondering if the shared memory between the graphics and CPU could be increased??

i know that Iris pro has 1GB of dedicated shared graphics and was thinking if this could be increased to say 2GB via some sort of coding, would this be a good tweak to do if possible? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its set within the OS and there's no way to alter that setting.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

On Windows it goes up to 1.5GB. It is just a driver setting. Apple seems to think that 1GB is always enough. They also said that Mavericks now support (like Windows does) dynamic vram allocation. I don't know if the 1GB is the up to value or the always reserved base line, eitherway you cannot do anything about it.
    More VRAM also doesn't make anything faster, it only helps with certain settings in games (or demanding cad work) that are just not feasible with too little VRAM. I would just trust that the GPU driver will allocate enough of your main memory for the GPU.

4. topman1993 thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh I see, was just a thought as i do a bit of gaming now and again and use CAD applications weekly

Maybe one day someone may make a code to change it... can hope :D

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. And even if it could be, unless you're loading a huge amount of textures or pushing a whole lot of pixels, extra VRAM does NOTHING for performance.