Increasing laptop wifi range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by erandall38, Dec 20, 2012.

1. erandall38 macrumors 6502

I travel a lot. I was hoping there is a piece I can hook up to my laptop to help increase its wifi range?

I know there are pieces you can set up on you router, but I would prefer something that hooks up to my laptop. That way when I travel I won't have issues with reaching wifi networks. I.E. starbucks wifi not working very well in their outside seating area, airport wifi signal not the same across airports, etc.

Any pieces I can attach to my laptop to that will increase its range to reach wifi networks? I have a 2008 MBP 15".

Thanks.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

On a wifi base station ways to increase range are:
    Modify antenna array
    Move antenna to better location
    Change frequency as lower frequencies have longer range at the same power
    Increase transmit power( but this can only be increased a same amount or you desk the base station not hearing a the laptop

On the laptop side:
    You can not modify the internal antenna
    You can move the laptop to a better location with better link budget (equally being able to hear and be heard)
    The laptop may support multiple wifi bands
    Likely you can not change the transmit power

3. rogerdee123 macrumors newbie

do a web search for "bear extender"

It's a more powerful wifi external antenna which clips to you laptop monitor ..... plugs into the laptop USB

4. erandall38 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this? (internal antenna). Thanks!

Awesome, thank you. That might have to be the route I go. Have you had any personal experience with this, or know anyone who has used it?