Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esvienne

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Hi there... I've had my macbook for a few months now. I have the 2.2 Santa-Rosa 1GB platform. I checked the forum for threads regarding this but I haven't found any. I manually searched as well as did the auto search form my title...

Anyways, I haven't installed much of anything on here (just the adobe suite, because I use Illustrator and photoshop) and I have alot of pictures. I've only used 30 GBs.. I have 107 remaining.

Does anybody know of anything I can do (without increasing the hard drive space or putting in more memory) to help my computer work a little better? It's slowed down significantly lately with starting up and starting programs.. for really no reason at all. I didn't know if there were any tricks regarding background processes, or settings that I can adjust maybe to tweak the performance. I come from windows, so I'm really used to fixing problems on windows laptops, but I'm not to macs, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
You could try repairing permissions:

Go to your Applications Folder > Utilities > Disk Utility, select your HDD, and select "repair permissions."

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Do a permissions repair in disk utility. [edit: eric beat me to it!]

Consider getting copies of Disk Warrior and Drive Genius - both well respected programs to help clean out the spinning beach ball.

esvienne

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
thanks for the quick replies! I did verify and repair the permissions, I usually do that regularly. I'll try to get a copy of drive genius... is it shareware? freeware? Does it work somewhat like the disc cleanup on windows?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
uh...

Won't upgrading from a gig of ram be most beneficial? Can't be more than $60.

esvienne

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
yes increasing to more ram would definitely help the problem, but for the time being I only do school work and light photo editing. Maybe I phrased my question wrong. In the past week or two, there's been a definite decline in performance, and it's not attributed to hogging hard drive space or using too much virtual memory.. I'm trying to figure out a solution that can help it in its current state rather than just ignoring and running away from the problem by increasing to more ram. That way I can assess if there's something wrong, since I haven't really used more memory or ran more than two applications at one time.

example- I've heard that occasionally when you use the printer, the process will still continue running even after you've closed the printer icon on the dock etc. I was just curious if there were things like that, which could be adding to my slowness.

Thanks for the ram suggest though- I'll probably end up doing that eventually anyway :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.